Family suburb with airport commute

mandmick

Hi

Moving from Adelaide end of year for hubby's new job in Kingsgrove..both working near airport so need a nice suburb suitable for family with 2 kids, 14 and 6.

Happy to commute up to an hour, would prefer not to far from beach and nice family environment with some community spirit and close to shops etc.

Thanks!

What do you think your budget will be for housing and so on, and what type of house would you be looking for (e.g. three bed/four bed/pool...etc)?  When you say not too far from the beach, would you rather pay a premium for living by a beach but in a smaller house/unit, or perhaps live slightly further from the coast but in easy reach of several beaches, and have cheaper rental costs?

We will buy eventually.. Ideally 3 bed.. With pool but Will compromise on pool if near coast. Rent up to 750 p week.

Either good state schools or lower priced private. 

Happy to downsize to coast but would prefer slightly larger house and garden within 30 min of beach. 

I'm going to recommend Sutherland Shire.  It is a fairly large area, reaching from Cronulla (beach suburb) in the east to Menai/Barden Ridge/Illawong in the west.  Cronulla is right on the coast and has a beachy vibe.  I would say that there are more young singles and couples there than families, it can be very busy with tourists/visitors in the summer.  It has lots of apartment blocks, a small shopping area (I don't think that there is a supermarket), lots of bars restaurants and cafes.  Caringbah is a couple of suburbs back and has supermarkets and other amenities, has more family/low density housing, but is still quite expensive to rent and buy.

For more value for money to rent and buy, you need to look further inland, towards Engadine area (which is the area we live in).  It is far more affordable than Cronulla and Caringbah, and is within a 30 minute drive to the beaches at Cronulla and also the (quieter) beaches of the Royal National Park, at Bundeena, Mainbar, Wattamolla and Garie.  There is a shopping area within Engadine with supermarkets, cafe's, bars and restaurants, a post office, hairdressers, gyms, clothing shops etc, plus we are only about 15 minutes from Miranda, where there is a large shopping centre with cinema etc.  You would be looking at about a 30-40 minute drive to Kingsgrove.  My neighbour works for Qantas and commutes to work by car, train and/or bike and finds the commute no trouble.  My OH works in Hurstville (one suburb down from Kingsgrove) and commutes by bike/train.

The schools in this area all seem to be pretty good.  Our daughters are at Engadine West (primary), and we've been more than happy with the school.  Engadine High is very well thought of in the area, and I've been really pleased with what I've seen of Heathcote High too (eldest, who is in year 6, is there on a gifted/talented enrichment placement this term).

That's a fantastic start thank you!

I had been recommended the Shires by another frend so that's good to get your recommendations.

Sounds ideal, we used to live in Dubai so we like somewhere with a good vibe!

I'll have a good look on line at schools and rent and keep you posted!

Thanks again!

On 24/05/2017 at 12:54, mandmick said:

Hi

Moving from Adelaide end of year for hubby's new job in Kingsgrove..both working near airport so need a nice suburb suitable for family with 2 kids, 14 and 6.

Happy to commute up to an hour, would prefer not to far from beach and nice family environment with some community spirit and close to shops etc.

Thanks!

If you can afford it live in Kingsgrove or Beverly Hills, in fact any of the suburbs along the rail line from the City to Campbelltown/MacArthur, depending upon your budget - the prices will probably go down as you progress further south west along that line. That's the airport line by the way which stops at both Domestic and International although you have to pay three times as much to get off the train there as all the other stops, even the ones 60km from Sydney. I'd rather commute by train than car if it's practicable unless you are working outside of peak times.

I rather like that area around Kingsgrove/Beverly Hills, and a little further out around Revesby/Panania where my brother lived for 20 years (in Picnic Point). I just realized you'd like to live near the beach. I don't know your budget but you could live around Botany/Mascot maybe and have an easy commute and not too far from the beach.

There are quite a few suburbs and lots of schools in Sutherland Shire, but I'd be hard pushed to think of a bad one.  You would usually send your kids to the school that you are in the catchment for.  If you have a look in the thread below there is some information about the area.  If you want any information about any particular suburb, let me know and I'll try to help if I can.

• 1 month later...

May be tight for your budget but have a look at Maroubra.  Great beach and fairly handy for the airport.

Otherwise, the shire as others have said.

With the sirport train line, - I think staff get a discount on the airport access fee or only pay it once per week or something

If you're working near the airport check out Coogee as that's a really nice beachy suburb with lots going on, the beautiful Coogee to bondi walk on your doorstep. Pretty close to the CBD too. However, if prices are anything like where we are on the northern beaches you'd be lucky to get a really old fashioned 3 bed apartment for $750 a week. We pai $730 a week for a 2 bed apartment & it's nothing flash. My guess is you need to be looking out west if you want a 3 bed house with a pool & even then I'm not sure you'd find one too easily. I'm not familiar with that side of Sydney though so couldn't recommend any suburbs I'm sorry.

Sent from my iPhone using PomsinOz