non resident travel insurance

writergirl74

Hi. I'm currently on a bridging visa while my partner visa application is assessed. I am going back to the UK for a couple of months and looking for travel insurance in case of travel issues, falling ill  on the plane,  anything that might happen on the layover etc. But to get  a mainstream travel insurance policy I need to be AU resident - which I am not. UK policies require the trip to start from the UK. I've seen a couple of AU companies that will cover non residents but they're expensive  (about $200 for a single trip basic policy). Any ideas of cheap travel insurance for a non resident? Thanks.

Ring the insurance and double check.  I would say for their purposes you are normally resident in Australia.  I assume you have an address here, bank account etc?  You are returning to Australia.  

Residency has many definitions depending on who is asking!

Do you live in Australia?  Will you be starting your trip in Australia and returning to Australia at the end of your trip?  If so then you are resident in Australia and can buy normal travel insurance.  Just make sure you get a bridging visa B before you travel.

Hi. I'm currently on a bridging visa while my partner visa application is assessed. I am going back to the UK for a couple of months and looking for travel insurance in case of travel issues, falling ill  on the plane,  anything that might happen on the layover etc. But to get  a mainstream travel insurance policy I need to be AU resident - which I am not. UK policies require the trip to start from the UK. I've seen a couple of AU companies that will cover non residents but they're expensive  (about $200 for a single trip basic policy). Any ideas of cheap travel insurance for a non resident? Thanks.

We had the same problem when we were on a 457 visa. We used Insure and Go. They do a non resident policy and although I bought the annual insurance ($245 for 2 people and was a good policy) they did single trip too.

• 6 months later...

Worldcare is another company that will do travel insurance for temporary residents, and have a reasonable rep on productreview for dealing with claims.  I've bought from them a couple of times though (touch wood) have never had to make a claim.

Used Insure And Go to cover the belongings when we moved to Oz, they seemed fine too, though again we fortunately didn't need to make a claim.