PSS & John Masons. Just had quotes in - Your thoughts

adele244

UK To Brisbane, full use of 20' container.

PSS: Guy came, seemed very laid back and nice. Said Aerosols no problem, which shocked me but I was over the moon! Quote is £4055 with the quarantine tax at other end.

John Mason: Seemed much stricter with what we couldn't take, but their quote was £3750

How does this compare to other quotes please? I would rather use PSS at John Masons prices!!!!! ha ha!

Thank you x

We used John Masons and couldn't fault them - their rep was far more professional and actually looked at what we were taking (even in the loft).  He was also specific about what we would have problems getting into the country should our cargo be examined (which matched info given on the AQIS site.)

You can always ring PSS and ask them to match the quote

• Like 1

We used PSS and had  very bad service from  one of the removal men, so arrogant and rude. had me in tears and was very rude to my  daughter age 15.

they also told us NO aerosols, and left behind a cupboard full of stuff. most of items were broken or damaged due to bad packing. had to claim for over £4K worth of loss. removal man told us no need to transport brackets of washing machine, even though we said we have kept them and wont take 2mins to fit. when we got to OZ the machine was making a bad noise and had to be fixed!

if i was you i wo

uldnt listen to the reps that come out and quote and tell you what yo can and cant take. do your own research on gov sites and ask on here.

one old guy told me my table my get pulled as it had a small hole in it from a pin, he said they will think its wood worm and also it didnt look like it was treated. he was talking absolute rubbish, no way would they think it had wood worm-even if they bothered to look at it in Brisbane, and the wood was absolutely no problem passing. so the fact i was up one night til 2am sanding  it down and re vanishing two days before packing was a total waste of time.

yes you can take wooden articles and even wicker.

i was told i couldnt take candles, but i had read that they were fine so i argued with them and the removals men plastered in large letters "candles' all over the box. candles are no problem.

Candles...really!

That was the only thing that both companies actually agreed on that candles were forbidden!!

You just don't know what to believe!!!

John Masons said you couldn't take teabags in shipment but you could take them on plane!! So what's the difference, they are still entering the country regardless of the route!

Is there anywhere that will give me an accurate list of what exactly can and can't be taken over?

many thanks x x x 

16 hours ago, adele244 said:

Candles...really!

That was the only thing that both companies actually agreed on that candles were forbidden!!

I believe it's candles made from bees wax that are not allowed in to the country.  I'm pretty sure bees wax candles are rather expensive and your everyday candles are made from something different, although happy to be corrected if I'm wrong.

• Like 2

On 10/05/2017 at 7:16 AM, 99redballs said:

We used PSS and had  very bad service from  one of the removal men, so arrogant and rude. had me in tears and was very rude to my  daughter age 15.

they also told us NO aerosols, and left behind a cupboard full of stuff. most of items were broken or damaged due to bad packing. had to claim for over £4K worth of loss. removal man told us no need to transport brackets of washing machine, even though we said we have kept them and wont take 2mins to fit. when we got to OZ the machine was making a bad noise and had to be fixed!

How long ago was this 99redballs?

Hi Adele, 

Quote looks reasonable to me - we had a 40ft sole use in June 2015 Surrey to Melb for £6575.  Plus the FX rate has taken a pummelling since so looks like even more of a winner.  But alway, always negotiate!

The JM team were good although we did had a few damages on arrival and some missing items.  Insurance through Letton - thankfully!  There were some other issues with the unpack in Melbourne though which was pretty disappointing - mind you, different state and likely different crew so perhaps you won't have the same issues we did...

Its beeswax candles they worry about in customs but I guess a blanket ban is easier for the removalists to communicate and less likely to draw additional AQIS inspections (and $$$).  Plus, those containers do get hot when they're on the wharf and you don't need molten then resolidifed wax everywhere! We considered shipping some wicker baskets but decided against it for peace of mind.

Rushy

Guest The Pom Queen
On 10/05/2017 at 4:16 PM, 99redballs said:

I am very shocked with this because PSS probably have the best reputation in the industry followed by John Masons. 

I know the director so please pm me your details and I will chase this up with him. 

In regards to what you can take I presume removal companies air on the side of caution to stop any risk of your goods being delayed at customs.

Guest The Pom Queen
On 10/05/2017 at 5:41 AM, adele244 said:

PSS: Guy came, seemed very laid back and nice. Said Aerosols no problem, which shocked me but I was over the moon! Quote is £4055 with the quarantine tax at other end.

John Mason: Seemed much stricter with what we couldn't take, but their quote was £3750

How does this compare to other quotes please? I would rather use PSS at John Masons prices!!!!! ha ha!

Thank you x

@adele244 have a word with PSS they may be able to price match

On 2017-5-9 at 8:41 PM, adele244 said:

Thank you x

Hey hun, 

Are the quotes for packing and wrapping too? Or are you doing the packing and wrapping yourself? 

I didn't know they did sole use of 20ft containers. I don't want to share a container so I'm looking for the same!  

Thanks 

Just now, Fosh said:

Hey hun, 

Are the quotes for packing and wrapping too? Or are you doing the packing and wrapping yourself? 

I didn't know they did sole use of 20ft containers. I don't want to share a container so I'm looking for the same!  

Thanks 

Absolutely you can! I didn't want a shared container either, both of them offered this and both quotes were for them to pack this end and unpack at other end :-)

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, adele244 said:

Absolutely you can! I didn't want a shared container either, both of them offered this and both quotes were for them to pack this end and unpack at other end :-)

Perfect will speak to John Masons.  Thanks x

6 hours ago, The Pom Queen said:

I am very shocked with this because PSS probably have the best reputation in the industry followed by John Masons. 

I know the director so please pm me your details and I will chase this up with him. 

In regards to what you can take I presume removal companies air on the side of caution to stop any risk of your goods being delayed at customs.

Hi Pomqueen,

I have read a few posts about PSS with items losts/damaged. Do you recommend them over John Mason?

Starting to think it's luck of the draw 

Thanks x

Guest The Pom Queen
7 hours ago, Fosh said:

Hi Pomqueen,

I have read a few posts about PSS with items losts/damaged. Do you recommend them over John Mason?

Starting to think it's luck of the draw 

Thanks x

It is the luck of the draw most definitely. We used Crown many years ago who then had the best reputation we had nothing but problems which included them unloading someone else's house contents in to our house before re realised that it wasn't our handwriting on the boxes. Then we had around $10,000 of damage. Crown didn't want anything to do with us when they received the complaint. Thankfully we used a third party insurance.

Over the years there have been good and bad posts on every removal company so you will always find mixed opinions. PSS or Masons have the least complaints.

Guest The Pom Queen

99 red balloons please can you contact me as it seems the review you have posted here is totally different to the wonderful feedback you gave PSS. 

21 hours ago, The Pom Queen said:

Or being asked to pay $$$ to have it treated or destroyed.

• 1 month later...
On 5/11/2017 at 19:55, unzippy said:

How long ago was this 99redballs?

On 5/11/2017 at 22:40, crypticat said:

Hi Adele, 

Quote looks reasonable to me - we had a 40ft sole use in June 2015 Surrey to Melb for £6575.  Plus the FX rate has taken a pummelling since so looks like even more of a winner.  But alway, always negotiate!

The JM team were good although we did had a few damages on arrival and some missing items.  Insurance through Letton - thankfully!  There were some other issues with the unpack in Melbourne though which was pretty disappointing - mind you, different state and likely different crew so perhaps you won't have the same issues we did...

Its beeswax candles they worry about in customs but I guess a blanket ban is easier for the removalists to communicate and less likely to draw additional AQIS inspections (and $$$).  Plus, those containers do get hot when they're on the wharf and you don't need molten then resolidifed wax everywhere! We considered shipping some wicker baskets but decided against it for peace of mind.

Rushy

we came out in aug last year