Which visa?

maidensarah

Hi everyone,

My husband's employer is expanding to Australia and advertising internally for his position (Senior Finance Manager) to work in a new Sydney office as they will need someone experienced to set up. 

Can anyone please advise me which visa he would have to get for this? I assume the company would go about arranging it but just wondered what it would be called, if it's temporary how long would it be for and would there be a chance to get permanent residence?

I'm a bit confused by the recent visa changes!

thank you 

It is most likely to be a 457 visa. This is a temporary visa. Depending on which of the two lists the occupation is on - there was a huge shake up in the last few weeks - will depend on how it works. If it is on the short term, then it is a 2 year visa which is renewable for a further 2 years, but that is it and holders are barred from permanent visas. If it is on the long term list, then the visa is for between 1 day and 4 years depending on the company and is renewable and can be sponsored for permanent. 

There are a large number of issues with 457 visas. 

First, it is vital you assume you will be returning. Then, many states charge holders for education, New South Wales I believe currently charges $4000 per year per child. 

Another is that applicants partners can have difficulty finding work. 

• Like 1

Thank you for this info. 

Do you know where I can find the lists for the short and long term occupations? I was looking on the Australian government website earlier but couldn't find links.

I would have 2 of school age so that would definitely have to be taken into account

For the 457, this is apparently effective as of April 2017 so he would only get a 2-year visa, which could be renewed once for an additional 2 years.  There's no path to PR under this new 2-year visa so unless he (or you) can apply for a permanent visa under another occupation later, that would be the extent of his visa options for Australia.

• Like 1