Primary schools in Brisbane

carlymac

Hi Everyone

I am looking for some help with primary schools, I am moving out to Brisbane next year and not to sure which area. I have never been to Oz and know no one who lives there but I have a cousin who lives in NZ and she was telling me how the schools are run the same as NZ. Is it right that children are in groups as to their ability rather then their age? She was telling me that children do not go up to the next level until they reach different levels..I hope this makes sense? Can anyone help with this?

Thanks everyone.

Hi Everyone

I am looking for some help with primary schools, I am moving out to Brisbane next year and not to sure which area. I have never been to Oz and know no one who lives there but I have a cousin who lives in NZ and she was telling me how the schools are run the same as NZ. Is it right that children are in groups as to their ability rather then their age? She was telling me that children do not go up to the next level until they reach different levels..I hope this makes sense? Can anyone help with this?

Thanks everyone.

I'm not sure that your cousin is right - most of the schools I have seen in Aus have been much more inclined to keep kids with their age peers and to support them (yeah, right!) if they have difficulties but the general premise is that they are socially better with kids of the same age (Australia doesnt like tall poppies!!!). That is not to say, however, that they dont have multi-age classes, many schools do - so for example you may have a year 1/2 composite class. They are generally organized like that for a range of reasons - they dont have the right number of kids at each year level, they want to spread out the problem kids in one year level, etc.

Usual advice from anyone in education is to find your house first - that will also involve working out where you will be working, what sort of house you want to be living in and what sort of house you can afford! The schools tend to be pretty much of a muchness really but they do tend to reflect the socio economic profile of the community in which they are situated - so if you dont like the neighbourhood, you probably wouldnt like the school either.

Dont panic about it, I am sure you will find somewhere lovely to live and that will be zoned for a lovely school!

Guest claire8

Hi there

We are moving to Brisbane in Sept but my kids are older-13 & 15 but my brothers kids go to primary school & he said its all based on 'catchment area'-so basically if you find a house you like in the area you like then the school pretty much has to find a place for your kids!! I must admit I did question that. They live in Bellbowrie & go to Moggill Primary School & my brother is very impressed with it. Im hoping to get mine into Kenmore High which has an excellent reputation & have emailed the principal & he said if we buy a house in the catchment area he will find a place for them-it seems a casual approach but I suppose they build in spare places in each year to cope with any sudden requests for places.

Good luck!

Claire

Archived