Perth Job Situ

legoman

Been here 6 weeks now, moved to NOR as lived here before, knew job situ was poor due to downturn in mining but never realised just how bad. paid 3 months rent in advance but noticed 

seems more jobs SOR, in fact had guy call re a job application but wanted someone sor.

If i break lease to move sor i assume any rent in advance will be repaid although I realise they in a advantageous position as have my money, guessing i will have to pay for advertising

though the rental is brand spanking new and only 360pw  any advice or stay put.  My pal says they needed bus drivers in Freo, i have the necessary lic etc but its a long way to go.

I would suggest these days one needs to go to the job rather than vice versa. The job market is darn tough across the board these times. Hence the restructuring and lower pay rates often resulting.

In the case of bus drivers though, in my area at least there appears to be the vast majority of drivers are from The Sub Continent. Twenty years back UK born drivers were plentiful. Hardly come across one these days as conditions declined around that time.

Hence are there no positions closer to your area? I would suggest in a time of high vacancy rates, the owner will be none too pleased if you break the lease.

The cost of advertising and full rent until re leased would be minimal requirements I'd have thought. On the other hand how much deposit do ypu stand to loose? Would that option prove cheaper?

Yep - you are responsible for the rent until they re-lease or the lease ends.

Your employer shouldn't care where you live if you are happy to travel SOR for work.  What industry are you in and how far north are you? 

In this market, if there is a suitable job, take it and do the travel, maybe buy a scooter/motorbike to skip thorugh the traffic  You can either move house (or job) in time.

yes agree with both posts, I have tradie quals and previous maintenance work history here, never known it to be this bad work wise. but the guy who called re the job i applied for didnt seem to happy when i said i would travel, they provided transport so guess its the fuel thing. I live in Hocking.

the bus drive was a fall back job which i thought would be simpler to get. seems i was wrong.

never mind, will persevere I guess. just an initial shock to the system.  thanks for the replies though

Guest The Pom Queen

I would go where the work is. The problem you would have is that you have to give notice anyway to get out of the rental contract. If the climate is bad then it may end up costing you more than the 3 months. You could ask if you could sub let. I know I'm Qld they advertise properties as an house share, the new house mate then needs to go on the tenancy agreement. Then the old renter asks to come off. It seems common practice in the Uni world.