backpack required ?

lozmalcolmx

So i am planning on going to oz on a WHV September 2018 giving myself time to save that and the fact i have 2 holidays booked for this year. 

Just wondered do i need a backpack or is it possible to travel with suitcase? typical lass that i am carrying a backpack would kill me lmao

Guest The Pom Queen

Lol @Quokka2005 would be able to help here, I think we had a 5 page thread on what bag she was going to take. 

'You could use a suitcase no problem at all. Even one of those bags that's on wheels. I have lived in areas where there are lots of backpackers and I don't see many females carrying a backpack.

Haha yeah I caused a bit of a stir with this topic in 2015. I went with a suitcase and for the majority it was fine. Pavements are decent etc. It even went to the outback lol.  The only time it gets a bit of a pain is when it comes to stairs. Maybe you could compromise and get one of those backpacks that have the wheels. I think osprey do a good one. My travel buddy had one and he could take it places like Thailand etc. But I'd say my suitcase was fine for 90% of the time 

• Like 1

If this almost septuagenarian can carry a backpack anyone can! Once it's on it's a doddle and there are ways of getting them on, I can just about manage to get 20kg on these days (can carry much more but struggle a bit to get it on) but my pack usually gets to 15-17kg (books for the kids weigh heavy). My backpack was one of very few on the conveyer belt last week though so perhaps people aren't as strong as they used to be.

Of course you can use a wheelie thing, stairs are a pain and there are some pavements/roads which could be a challenge but otherwise most people seem to manage.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a hybrid suitcase; wheelie for most of the time but has built-in harness for when backpack is required.  Mine is from Kathmandu and it is absolutely magic, except I strongly recommend getting one in the sales as they charge ridiculous full prices.

• Like 1

@Quokka2005 and her suitcase did very well on her journey around Oz.... I well remember the number of times it ended up in the boot of my car, looking a bit more battered each time mind you.... but you will get that with a backpack too.   Personally I don't like backpacks for exactly the reason you are against them.... so if you choose a suitcase, just choose one that is easy to wheel and try out those with 2 wheels and those with 4 wheels, as they are very different beasts.   4 wheeled ones can also be 2 wheeled ones should you need them to be.   Basically with anything you buy, be it suitcase or backpack, you really do get what you pay for.... cheapie does not cut it if you are living out of it for a year.   Let us know what you decide to go with.   And happy travels!

• Like 2

My suitcase has been through quite a lot lol i think it's covered in red dust.  It's coped well though! I think if I was doing it again then I'd get one of the wheeled backpacks just so that when it comes to stairs I could carry it. If I was going to Asia I'd get backpack too but you really don't need one for Australia and if there's health problems then they aren't ideal 

On 29/04/2017 at 11:03 AM, lozmalcolmx said:

i have hip issues which affect my back and knees so carrying a back pack might be an issue thats why i was thinking suitcase thanks for suggestions x

Ah, OK. If you are thinking of doing regional farm work with back problems you will want to be careful - that's only if you think you want to get the year's extension though (and be sure to get travel insurance). 

As Rossmoyne said - get good quality, you get what you pay for! Don't skimp!

From personal experience, buy a berghaus spirit 70 (google it, two hits come up for gumtree uk in the first page).

Mine has done 5 or 6 overlander trips, plus holidays, validation trip and emigration, 3 of which were RTW.  Still looks new.  More importantly, the straps fold internally like a suitcase for no damage in transit AND pockets are all internal for no sneaking things in whilst you're not looking or stealing things from them either!.  70L is huge so you'll never need it full, and don't take more than 10-12kg backpacking, you can and will buy what you need where you are mostly! With back issues, pulling a wheeled bag will be worse than a decently balanced rucksack. 

Have a great WHV trip!

• Like 1