Renting with a dog

Have you checked on sites like realestate.com.au and out in rentals in the city and allowing pets? Unless it says no pets allowed I would not rule a rental out.

One thing to keep in mind is how hot and humid it can get there. A boxer may struggle on hot days, humid ones perhaps more so so ensure you have things in place for him to keep cool. Our dog is an inside dog but many have their dogs outside and on hot days it can be horrible for them stuck outside. Brachycephalic breeds can really struggle in the heat here. 

Also check out dog park options and areas to exercise a dog in areas of Darwin that appeal to you. Not everywhere is a dog friendly as the UK.  Also beaches are certain times of the year may not be great for dogs up there. 

Guest The Pom Queen

In Darwin or FNQ you will be fine, the agents encourage landlords to accept pets. If you had been moving to Melbourne I would have said yes you are limited.

Obviously you will still find some landlords who don't want them but there shouldn't be many, although the majority will want them to live outside.

Have you started the paperwork process yet? Have a chat with Petair they are the best pet shipping company in the UK.

On 07/04/2017 at 10:09 AM, snifter said:

Have you checked on sites like realestate.com.au and out in rentals in the city and allowing pets? Unless it says no pets allowed I would not rule a rental out.

One thing to keep in mind is how hot and humid it can get there. A boxer may struggle on hot days, humid ones perhaps more so so ensure you have things in place for him to keep cool. Our dog is an inside dog but many have their dogs outside and on hot days it can be horrible for them stuck outside. Brachycephalic breeds can really struggle in the heat here. 

Also check out dog park options and areas to exercise a dog in areas of Darwin that appeal to you. Not everywhere is a dog friendly as the UK.  Also beaches are certain times of the year may not be great for dogs up there. 

Thank you for your reply,  Yeah the heat is a big issue and it would prob be kindest to leave her here in the UK but it would break my heart. Thanks again

On 11/04/2017 at 3:19 PM, The Pom Queen said:

In Darwin or FNQ you will be fine, the agents encourage landlords to accept pets. If you had been moving to Melbourne I would have said yes you are limited.

Obviously you will still find some landlords who don't want them but there shouldn't be many, although the majority will want them to live outside.

Have you started the paperwork process yet? Have a chat with Petair they are the best pet shipping company in the UK.

Thank you for replying, that's great information x

• 1 month later...
On Sunday, May 21, 2017 at 22:56, scubacam said:

I'm bringing a dog and 2 cats - has anyone else had experience renting with this?

Sent from my iPhone using PomsinOz

I rented a house with 2 dogs in Sydney. Your choice will be restricted but you should get something.  Search on domain.com.au and make sure you check the pet friendly box in the filters. Don't bother looking at flats or townhouses they are usually strata  properties which set limits on the number of animals allowed, usually 0 or 1

• 2 weeks later...

During my property search, I only ruled out properties which specifically included 'no pets' in the description.  I was very fortunate as I found a rental property within 3 days. Property is only about 4 years old in a Strata building.  It ticked all the boxes and I thought that with all the people that showed up for the inspection, myself having a dog would have no chance, regardless of my viable financial situation or a great rental track record. When I showed up, not only did the existing tenant have a pup, a discussion with the rental agent and our shared love of dogs is what I think actually helped me get the property in the end. 

Don't be turned off by properties which specifically don't list 'pet friendly'. From experience, the ones that do are ones that are very low in demand (dumps!). I am an avid animal lover but am also a property owner with investments in other countries and I would not go out of my way to list that my property is pet friendly, even if my property was bullet proof. Not all animal lovers translate into responsible tenants. 

Tip before you start searching: Prepare a pet resume. It sounds silly but it can be very value adding. I had a one pager prepared for my dog which had a lovely picture, and it listed everything from her training, vaccinations and behavior. Even though I never had to show it, I have gone into detail with the rental agent, also mentioning that throughout my entire dogs life, she has always had a dog walker/ pet sitter Monday - Fridays while I am at work so she's never alone for more than 2-3 hours at a time which I think has helped. 

All the best in your rental search! 

Guest The Pom Queen

Unless the law has changed down there since I've been away they aren't legally allowed to ask for a pet bond, although people always offered one. I've been a way a while though Parley so it may have changed.