Oz citizen but query on partner/child visas

SCITEACH

I am a citizen living in the UK.

I've been married for 5 years and have a child and one on the way with my husband.

I've been looking at descendent visas for our children but I'm stuck with the quickest and cheapest (!!!) Way to get my OH out to Oz. 

I can sponsor him but at 4.5K it's so much more expensive than when we investigated 3 years ago. 

He is a teacher so considering sponsorship instead. 

I've contacted an agent for free advice but heard nothing yet.

Does anyone have any advice or experience of this?

Thanks

6 hours ago, SCITEACH said:

I am a citizen living in the UK.

I've been married for 5 years and have a child and one on the way with my husband.

I've been looking at descendent visas for our children but I'm stuck with the quickest and cheapest (!!!) Way to get my OH out to Oz. 

I can sponsor him but at 4.5K it's so much more expensive than when we investigated 3 years ago. 

He is a teacher so considering sponsorship instead. 

I've contacted an agent for free advice but heard nothing yet.

Does anyone have any advice or experience of this?

Thanks

Are your children not Australia citizens? They may not need visas. 

Assuming you are an Australian born citizen or even a citizen by descent who has lived in Australia for more than 4 (I think) years then you just register your kids at the HC and get their passports as citizens by descent.

All depending on his qualifications and his specialties some states are sponsoring some teachers I believe but much easier to prove spouse relationship - it's all going to cost!

Edited to remind you to get your UK citizenship before you go if you don't already have it, you never know if you might need it one day.

Edited by Quoll
  • Like 1

I am registered migration agent.  I agree that the teacher pathway is very convaluted at the moment with many states stipulating migration with job offers before they will consider an invitation. While on the face of things the skilled visa looks cheaper, there is still a skills assessment, registration with the state board, proof of English and experience and the $3600 cost for the visa.  Comparatively the partner visa is $6865 now in Immi fees but does not rely on the subjective nature of all these other third party entitities that take 3 months or more at each stage and at significant costs.   The partner visa is purely based on your relationship with no proof of English or skills required.  Certainly an easier more solid option that skilled migration for teachers at the present time.  

Edited by The Pom Queen
Forum rules

On 03/04/2017 at 10:16 PM, Quoll said:

Assuming you are an Australian born citizen or even a citizen by descent who has lived in Australia for more than 4 (I think) years then you just register your kids at the HC and get their passports as citizens by descent.

All depending on his qualifications and his specialties some states are sponsoring some teachers I believe but much easier to prove spouse relationship - it's all going to cost!

Edited to remind you to get your UK citizenship before you go if you don't already have it, you never know if you might need it one day.

My family lived there years ago and gained citizenship after 2 years, the requirement then. 

Will be getting passports for the kids as you suggest.

I'm a dual citizen so I also have a British passport. 

Thanks for the reply :)

On 04/04/2017 at 2:55 AM, Bonnie Thurecht said:

I am registered migration agent.  I agree that the teacher pathway is very convaluted at the moment with many states stipulating migration with job offers before they will consider an invitation. While on the face of things the skilled visa looks cheaper, there is still a skills assessment, registration with the state board, proof of English and experience and the $3600 cost for the visa.  Comparatively the partner visa is $6865 now in Immi fees but does not rely on the subjective nature of all these other third party entitities that take 3 months or more at each stage and at significant costs.   The partner visa is purely based on your relationship with no proof of English or skills required.  Certainly an easier more solid option that skilled migration for teachers at the present time.  

Yes I think the partner visa will be the best bet.

It makes me sick that it's gone up so much since we investigated it 3 years ago! 

Where do people find this money?!

On top of that, it takes up to 15 months to be granted at the minute. Hardly value for money! 

Best get saving those pennies...

Thanks for the reply ?

Edited by SCITEACH

Off shore is nowhere near 15 months processing. That is in shore applications. Off shore is 9-14 months officially but many (not all) are clearing within 6 months or so atm. 

On 5 April 2017 at 10:59 PM, SCITEACH said:

Yes I think the partner visa will be the best bet.

It makes me sick that it's gone up so much since we investigated it 3 years ago! 

Where do people find this money?!

On top of that, it takes up to 15 months to be granted at the minute. Hardly value for money! 

Best get saving those pennies...

Thanks for the reply ?

It's true the partner fee has gone up a lot, but it's not taking 15 months. Read the partner thread on this forum and you'll get some realistic timescales. 

Emigrating is expensive business, we've paid the 4200 for partner visa, an additional 280 for medical, another 100 or so for police checks, then factor in around 4-6k for container if you're shipping house contents, plus about 1000 for short term furnished let on arrival for first month, plus 1500 or so for flights, plus various insurances ..... Conclusion: emigrating is NOT cheap lol.

3 hours ago, Beffers said:

It's true the partner fee has gone up a lot, but it's not taking 15 months. Read the partner thread on this forum and you'll get some realistic timescales. 

Emigrating is expensive business, we've paid the 4200 for partner visa, an additional 280 for medical, another 100 or so for police checks, then factor in around 4-6k for container if you're shipping house contents, plus about 1000 for short term furnished let on arrival for first month, plus 1500 or so for flights, plus various insurances ..... Conclusion: emigrating is NOT cheap lol.

Thanks for the fee guide, I was struggling trying to work out a ballpark figure.

Much, much saving to do!

ETA is that container price a half or full one? We don't have much stuff we would really need. We have so much junk.

Edited by SCITEACH
  • Like 1

50 minutes ago, SCITEACH said:

Thanks for the fee guide, I was struggling trying to work out a ballpark figure.

Much, much saving to do!

ETA is that container price a half or full one? We don't have much stuff we would really need. We have so much junk.

Hi.

Container prices vary a lot. Email a few firms for quotations for 20/40ft. It varies depending on where you are. For example, I'm in N Ireland and it's more expensive than mainland GB.

If you don't take much stuff, just factor in cost of getting all new stuff in Oz. 

Also you'll need to check out property rental prices, so realestate.com.au will give you an idea and most agents like at least one months rent and bond, preferably 3 months rent and bond up front, so this could be around AUD 8000. based on 500/week rental. 

This will help you figure out some idea around total emigration budget. 

That sounds like a sole use 20ft container.

When the time comes there are plenty of options to ship less and to do so more cheaply. We shipped what we wanted and it cost more like £1500 all up door to door. We did jettison loads though and only shipped a few bits of furniture and no white goods. Buying the other end over time has worked for us. Second hand, new, sales, it's all been shopped. 

Keep in mind also if you have family in Aus where you plan to move to you can possibly stay with them in the early weeks/months till you are working or have found a rental. We stayed 6 months or so with family and used the rumpus room as our living space. Our child had a bedroom in the house and his room was a few feet away from the rumpus room. Was fine and meant we could save more once there.  

Keep in mind visa price increases do occur and so the visa may go up again. Hopefully nowhere near as big a jump as it's made in recent years but it could creep up while you are saving. 

7 hours ago, snifter said:

That sounds like a sole use 20ft container.

When the time comes there are plenty of options to ship less and to do so more cheaply. We shipped what we wanted and it cost more like £1500 all up door to door. We did jettison loads though and only shipped a few bits of furniture and no white goods. Buying the other end over time has worked for us. Second hand, new, sales, it's all been shopped. 

Keep in mind also if you have family in Aus where you plan to move to you can possibly stay with them in the early weeks/months till you are working or have found a rental. We stayed 6 months or so with family and used the rumpus room as our living space. Our child had a bedroom in the house and his room was a few feet away from the rumpus room. Was fine and meant we could save more once there.  

Keep in mind visa price increases do occur and so the visa may go up again. Hopefully nowhere near as big a jump as it's made in recent years but it could creep up while you are saving. 

Yes the only stuff I really want is our nice oak furniture. The rest I'm happy to have secondhand.

How did you ship so cheaply? What company was that with?

• Like 1