Treat like the move to Oz.

VERYSTORMY

The best tip I can give people moving back is don't just head back to where you left automatically. Think about it and research. If there were issues about where you lived you didn't like, the same issues are likely there.

The UK is relatively small compared to Oz and it is possible to get to most from anywhere else as a day trip. Obviously there are exceptions, but at worst a weekend. Though obviously moving back for extra family support may be different.

But, otherwise be open to possibilities. We have found ourselves in Scotland. Somewhere we had never considered but have fallen in love with.

Dont think you have to go to the south east because you work in a certain profession because you don't.

Research joh opportunities and ask questions. Though also remember, even when an area / town / city gets some negative feedback, it doesn't mean it isn't right for you. We are all different and what we like and dislike are different. For example, I have a friend who is a senior manager for Microsoft who has been repeatedly offered an amazing deal to live and work in California - huge beach house thrown in. He will never take it because he loves his life in a little terrace in Middlesbrough of all places. But, that doesn't mean you should ignore all advice. But, just accept it is subjective and the people giving it don't know you.

Treat it as a chance to get the life you want but didn't have.

• Like 2

Being someone who is planning a move back to the UK, I wholeheartedly agree with VS!

Before we moved to Australia, we lived in East Anglia. It wasn't somewhere that we chose to move to, we just kind of ended up there after uni. We lived rurally in the main part, in some lovely little villages around Newmarket/Bury St Edmunds and Saffron Walden. However we never really settled anywhere and moved several times in the few years that we were there. When we moved to Australia, OH was offered the choice of cities (we chose Sydney) and he was offered three locations within our choice of city. We did a whole heap of research, visited, and decided on which he would prefer for work. We then researched potential areas to live based on that and chose an area which fit our criteria. We've been here for a bit over eight years, and have only moved once - out of our temporary rental into the house we bought. We have loved this area and have been very happy here, and I would say that that is in the main part due to the research and planning which we did before we moved. We made an informed choice and it paid off.

We are now planning a move back to the UK, and have no intention of going back to East Anglia. We don't want to just end up somewhere, we want to make an informed decision, just as we did when we moved out to Australia. Obviously there will be some constraints, such as jobs, affordable housing and schooling, but hopefully we should find somewhere that we can find those things, but which also ticks some of the other boxes that we have. I've looked at pretty much every area of the UK and have found several places which we would consider, and are hopeful that we will find a place where we can be happy.

• Like 1

I am wrestling with that question. The original plan was to transfer with work which determined location but that fell through and now I have a redundancy cheque for at least a years salary post tax. I will start off at my mums near Birmingham but then do I find somewhere to live first and then a job or vice versa? My field of work largely restricts me to the M25 corridor but I am not keen to return full time to a corporate role and I am not sure at my age, 54, I will get one. I have no real family ties, so where do I go? My housing budget seems healthy, I want a 3 bed detached and have up to 600K. Oh the misery of choice

It is a very strange position to be in

I am wrestling with that question. The original plan was to transfer with work which determined location but that fell through and now I have a redundancy cheque for at least a years salary post tax. I will start off at my mums near Birmingham but then do I find somewhere to live first and then a job or vice versa? My field of work largely restricts me to the M25 corridor but I am not keen to return full time to a corporate role and I am not sure at my age, 54, I will get one. I have no real family ties, so where do I go? My housing budget seems healthy, I want a 3 bed detached and have up to 600K. Oh the misery of choice

It is a very strange position to be in

Do some research on if it really is the case that you need to work within the m25 as I would be very surprised if that was the case.

First, think about what lifestyle you want. Country living / city / small town / beach.

Then what commute you want.

Then budget and work.

When looking at jobs, use things like indeed but don't put in a location. Just the job title and it will give an indication of the spread.