Electrician needing guidance on emigrating to oz

Shaunwash

Hi I'm 28 and currently a self-employed electrician wanting to permanently move to australia with my wife and kids. Which visa would be best? And how to go about been a qualified electrician in oz any info would be much appreciated.

My qualifications are:

*C&G 2330 level 2 and 3

*17th edition iee wiring regs

*C&G 2399-14 level 3 photovoltaic systems.

*Btec level 3 in elec/electronic eng

Thanks in advance

Hi Shaun, my boyfriend and I are going through our visa process atm and fingers crossed almost there! We went through the 'Visa Bureau' they have been excellent and are registered agents as we made a big mistake going through a non registered company a few years back and lost a bit of money. The Visa Bureau will do a free assessment to ensure you have enough points to be able to apply (which i'm sure you will) and they will sort the rest out for you.

I hope this helps? Good luck!

Hi and welcome.

Your occupation ion is on the list, so that is a good start.

The best visa is a 189, which subject to points, you should be eligible for.

First, you need to check you can pass the skills assessment. This is a mix of technical skills, qualifications and experience.

Then you need to calculate your points. This is where many find they are short and so most people do an English exam such as ILETS to add points.

Once you you have a positive skills assessment and all the paperwork together and passed ilets if required, then you submit an expression of interest and wait to be invited to apply. Once invited you apply and wait for requests for medicals and police checks. Then you can apply.

You our need to be aware though that once in Oz, you need to retrain and this will involve some significant costs and working as a trade assistant for a year - a bit like an apprenticeship

Hi and welcome.

Your occupation ion is on the list, so that is a good start.

The best visa is a 189, which subject to points, you should be eligible for.

First, you need to check you can pass the skills assessment. This is a mix of technical skills, qualifications and experience.

Then you need to calculate your points. This is where many find they are short and so most people do an English exam such as ILETS to add points.

Once you you have a positive skills assessment and all the paperwork together and passed ilets if required, then you submit an expression of interest and wait to be invited to apply. Once invited you apply and wait for requests for medicals and police checks. Then you can apply.

You our need to be aware though that once in Oz, you need to retrain and this will involve some significant costs and working as a trade assistant for a year - a bit like an apprenticeship

hi yes we came out on the 189 visa as my partner is an electrician, we live in Perth and it's very difficult to get anyone to take you on for the 1000 on the job hours you need and also probably cost an extra £3000 to sit the exams, books and college stuff. All in all it took my partner 9 months to gain his WA licence, and is now doing the electrics for solar panels, which he really enjoys doing, but he starts work at 5.30am and some nights may not get home until 8pm, but hopefully when he gets his CEC then a lot more opportunities should arise. We also have a friend who has been here for 12 months but still has had no luck at finding anyone to take him on for his training. It wasn't to bad for us as we have no children and I am working full time so I could support us until he had got his licence. After saying all this we are loving it here and think it has all been worthwhile, hope this helps a little.

Yes, the Down Under Centre can facilitate you. However, the RTO responsible for assessing you there, Future Skills International, need two years full time work experience for those with a level 3 or above qualification. If you have no level 3 or above qualification, then you need to reference (including pay evidence) 7 years full time work experience as an electrician.

The alternative skills assessing authority is Vetassess, who will require 5 years full time.

Regards,

Richard

Hi Richard, I wonder if you can help clear something up for me... I have been NVQ3 qualified electrician for 1 year with, and have other city and guilds quals dating back 6 years. I have in total 7 years experience working in the trade with references available. Is that sufficient for visa subclass 189 or do I need more experience post NVQ3 qualification? I have heard that you need 3 years of post NVQ3 qualified experience.... thank you! Chris

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Currently you could apply via Future Skills International who require two years full time experience with a level 3 qualification - one of the two years must be post-qualification, so you would meet this.

However, you need to factor in whether you need employment points to meet the visa passmark?

If you have seven years referenced full time experience, and your qualifications have only recently been awarded then DIBP will deduct your first three years as being equivalent to apprenticeship training, leaving you with 4 years for points (giving you 5 points). Or you could wait a year, until you have 5 years, giving you 10 points.

Regards,

Richard