457 visa/resume querys

Tappers2oz

Ok, so as a few of you might have read, we have been told that sponsorship is our only option (457 as we don't meet the points for a 489 visa).

Anyway, when writing a covering letter for a resume/CV what should we write? Should we say how much we want to live permanently in Oz, or make it seem we aren't too fussed? How do you keep a good balance in the middle of those two??

Should we mention we would like to go for PR as soon as possible once over there, or is that looking 'too keen'.

Also, visa fees, should we offer to pay or say nothing and see what the companies come back with? Could this open us up to some issues in gaining sponsorship with a 'dodgy' company (who lets us pay for everything then makes life difficult when we are over there).

Also, if anyone knows of any private ambulance companies (I've googled a few) on the eastern/southern side please let me know. Ideally we'd like WA but been told they are chockablock of paramedics already.

I would not mention anything about visas. Also, you can not pay for a 457.

Also, you need to be very aware of what a 457 is. There is no automatic path to PR and you would need to treat it for what it is. A temporary move. In order to gain PR you would be reliant on being sponsored for it and many companies don't.

I would not mention anything about visas. Also, you can not pay for a 457.

Also, you need to be very aware of what a 457 is. There is no automatic path to PR and you would need to treat it for what it is. A temporary move. In order to gain PR you would be reliant on being sponsored for it and many companies don't.

I thought some companies made the applicant pay for it? I'm sure I've heard that (maybe the dodgy ones?).

Yes I know what a 457 is, trouble is it's our only way in (that or student visa and I'd rather not go that route, even more risky).

The company pays for the visa, however it isnt unheard of to offer the company the cash to cover this as an incentive to choose you over other applicants. It has happened more than once in the peak of the migration boom when this was someones only chance to get a visa.

I wouldnt mention to much about your views on the future in a cover letter but i would briefly mention that you would happily stay on in Australia should the opportunty arise. Im sure an employer would like to hear that someone is looking to stay around rather than just be here for a couple of years or so, especially if they 'invest' into training you up etc.

Lots of luck with everything

Cal x

I thought some companies made the applicant pay for it? I'm sure I've heard that (maybe the dodgy ones?).

Yes I know what a 457 is, trouble is it's our only way in (that or student visa and I'd rather not go that route, even more risky).

Things to consider.

You have in your signature that you hope to start nursing. This would be pretty hard in Oz as you would be an international student and so pay international fees - VERY expensive and payable up front with no government assistance.

There are other issues - for example, partners on 457's often have difficulty getting work, depending on the state, you may have to pay for schooling if you have children. If you ship everything out there and he lost his job and you had to return, the company will only pay your flights and not shipping costs.