Want to move but too anxious to apply for visa

SharnaS

Hello,

I am a 22 (almost 23) year old student, and it has always been my dream to move to Australia. I will be graduating this year and will be qualified to work in a day care centre and/or after school care (I live in Belgium and over here that is a college degree).

Now I had always promised myself that I would move to Australia before I turned 25, which is getting really close right now. The problem now is that when I graduate I will have to find a place to live and a job as to save up money for my move. I am too anxious to even think of applying for a visa because I fear I won't get it.

I have tons of questions that I can find different answers to online.

Can I apply for a visa myself or is it best to get a migration worker to help me with it? What would I need to do for a permanent work visa and what does this actually get me? (Can I stay or do I have a certain time to find an actual job before being sent back). How much money would I need (for the visa application if I get help or if I do it by myself) and which documents would be needed?

I read online somewhere that I would have to send an Expession of Interest to SkillSelect? Is this correct, what must this expression of interest then have in it?

I am sure I have loads more questions that I cannot think of right now :S

I would be happy with any information anybody could give me to settle my nerves a bit :S My plan was to get a job and save up to then apply for my visa in 2019. Also I would like to add that I will be moving from Belgium but I am a holder of a British passport.

With Kind regards:cute::cute::cute:

your ideal visa is a working holiday visa. it gives you potentially 2 years of travelling, working, meeting people and visiting lots of different places you could eventually want to live in. this is the least financially costly and providing you meet the visa criteria which are relatively easy too meet can take as little as a few hours to get back once paid for.. with what you have said i dont think you would qualify for the skilled visa at the moment as you need 60 points minimum and your age and lack of experience will hold you back. check out the working holiday visa :)

To get a permanent visa, there are series of steps you need to achieve.

First, you need to check your occupation is on one of the lists known as SOL or CSOL

https://www.border.gov.au/Trav/Work/Work/Skills-assessment-and-assessing-authorities/skilled-occupations-lists/SOL

https://www.border.gov.au/Trav/Work/Work/Skills-assessment-and-assessing-authorities/skilled-occupations-lists/CSOL

If it is only on the CSOL, you would need a sponsor either state or business, so you would need to check if any states are sponsoring

Then is where you may have the first issue. You need to undertake a skills assessment. Every occupation has a detailed set of criteria that an applicant must meet. This is usually a mix of qualifications and post qualification experience. Though there are a few occupations that do not need the experience. Also, it will state how many years of university are needed - many require 4 and what that includes and exactly what experience may be needed.

Then, you need to calculate your points - you need at least 60 and this may be hard as points are awarded for experience

You will also need to undertake an English test such as ILETS

It may be good to speak to a good agent to come up with a plan

I agree with the suggestion of going on a WHV - you would need at least 1 year post qualifying experience before you could consider applying for a permanent visa and even then for Child Care it's not that easy.

Only Child Care Manager is on the Skilled

Occupation Lists and this is a level 1 occupation - the good news is you will have a degree so the qualification aspect is met but I believe you need 3 years experience as a manger which as a new graduate you obviously won't have and could take many years to accrue

https://www.anzscosearch.com/134111

Child Care Group leader is on the list for regional sponsorship by an employer but you would still need experience - a year I believe.

I agree with the suggestion of going on a WHV - you would need at least 1 year post qualifying experience before you could consider applying for a permanent visa and even then for Child Care it's not that easy.

Only Child Care Manager is on the Skilled

Occupation Lists and this is a level 1 occupation - the good news is you will have a degree so the qualification aspect is met but I believe you need 3 years experience as a manger which as a new graduate you obviously won't have and could take many years to accrue

https://www.anzscosearch.com/134111

Child Care Group leader is on the list for regional sponsorship by an employer but you would still need experience - a year I believe.

Thank you for the reply

I however do not want to work as a manager, also my degree does not cover this. I am of course planning to work as a day care worker while I save up money to go. The replies have actually discouraged me a lot, I did not want to have to wait too much longer to apply and from the replies I can see it will take me much longer than I wished for

I do not hae the money to just go and visit for a while and get to know the place, the point is to actually move there permanently without having to visit first :S if I have to wait that long to visit first and then work more and apply again I would have missed my preferred age range to leave and I really do not want to miss that :S It might not seem that important to others but I am actually desperate to leave this country

I am planning on gaining my work experience (of just over a year) before I apply fir a visa seeing as I need to save up money anyway. Wouldn't my english already be classified as a qualification point seeing as I am British? Even so the test is no problem what so ever...

My occupation is sadly enough not on the list, only a day care manager is, would this be a big problem? From what I have already looked up my college degree should be a good enough qualification for the day care jobs seeing as it is apparently not really a job you need a high education for (I read high-school is usually good enough).

your ideal visa is a working holiday visa. it gives you potentially 2 years of travelling, working, meeting people and visiting lots of different places you could eventually want to live in. this is the least financially costly and providing you meet the visa criteria which are relatively easy too meet can take as little as a few hours to get back once paid for.. with what you have said i dont think you would qualify for the skilled visa at the moment as you need 60 points minimum and your age and lack of experience will hold you back. check out the working holiday visa :)

I did not want to go on a working holiday visa due to the lack of money I have and will be earning in the next year and a half before I wanted to apply for a visa. I do not see how my age could be a problem seeing as they do want young people (I would be 24 when applying for the visa normally) and I will have some experience when I apply for a visa. If I knew the exact amount of experience needed I would definately do that experience time before even applying.

There is currently no option to migrate permanently as a child care worker as far as I know - Child Care Manager & Child Care group leader are the only options and the latter requires a sponsor.

https://www.anzscosearch.com/241111

A long shot would be to find out if your degree would be acceptable as an Early Childhood Teacher as this is on the CSOL.

The qualification must include a minimum of 45 days of supervisedteaching practice with students across the ages Birth to 8 years in education programs prior toand in the early years of primary school.

http://www.aitsl.edu.au/docs/default-source/assessment-for-migration-resources/notification-of-change-to-early-childhood-pre-primary-school-teacher-professional-criterion-may16.pdf?sfvrsn=2

With a PR visa you are under no obligation to do the job you declare on your visa application.

It may be worth having an initial assessment with a migration agent.

There are a lot of occupations that are not eligible for migration because there is not enough demand in Australia to need to bring in immigrants (there are enough Australians to fill these jobs). You may need to consider increasing your qualifications and/or branching into another field (e.g. teaching).

Although permanent migration is what you're looking for, you may want to consider further the Working Holiday Visa. It lets someone come to Australia for up to 2 years and work (there are some limitations such as can only work for an employer for maximum 6 months before needing to find another employer) and you need to do at least 3 months of eligible rural work to qualify for the second year. But for many people it can lead to a permanent visa if you can find an employer to sponsor you for an eligible visa. This may be easier if you settle in a regional area where there can be more flexibility for eligible occupations and need for people.

It may be worthwhile for you to arrange a consultation with a registered migration agent as they can review your qualifications/experience and give you an overview of what options you may have and how to get there.

I am planning on gaining my work experience (of just over a year) before I apply fir a visa seeing as I need to save up money anyway. Wouldn't my english already be classified as a qualification point seeing as I am British? Even so the test is no problem what so ever...

My occupation is sadly enough not on the list, only a day care manager is, would this be a big problem? From what I have already looked up my college degree should be a good enough qualification for the day care jobs seeing as it is apparently not really a job you need a high education for (I read high-school is usually good enough).

Yes it would be a problem. If your profession is not on the skills list then the option for a permanent visa isn't open to you. As has been said, child care manager is on the list.

You perhaps need to have a rethink of your plans. It might also be advisable to discuss with a reputable migration agent to see what your options are. At present, I can only see a WHV as being available to you. You may need to retrain or gain extra skills and experience etc.

Australia doesn't just give visas for migrants in any line of work. They have specific skill sets they are needing hence the SOL and CSOL. Suggest you take a look over the list and the CSOL so you can see what Australia is currently needing.

https://www.border.gov.au/Trav/Work/Work/Skills-assessment-and-assessing-authorities/skilled-occupations-lists/SOL

If money is a big issue, you need to understand that migrating is a very expensive process. A PR visa is $3600, plus medical, police checks and skills assessment - not much change from $5000 then flight, temp accomodation, long term accomodation paid in advance, then you need enough money to live for several months while you find work.

• Like 1

There is currently no option to migrate permanently as a child care worker as far as I know - Child Care Manager & Child Care group leader are the only options and the latter requires a sponsor.

https://www.anzscosearch.com/241111

A long shot would be to find out if your degree would be acceptable as an Early Childhood Teacher as this is on the CSOL.

The qualification must include a minimum of 45 days of supervisedteaching practice with students across the ages Birth to 8 years in education programs prior toand in the early years of primary school.

http://www.aitsl.edu.au/docs/default-source/assessment-for-migration-resources/notification-of-change-to-early-childhood-pre-primary-school-teacher-professional-criterion-may16.pdf?sfvrsn=2

With a PR visa you are under no obligation to do the job you declare on your visa application.

It may be worth having an initial assessment with a migration agent.

From what I have read up from your helpfull reply is that my degree should count as that for a Child Care Group Leader, here in Belgium it just counts as all workers that need to know all of those things and not just the group leader (at least for smaller places, bigger places usually have the option of having group leader(s) that don't actually keep busy with any children. So I will disguss that with a migration agent at some point then. However if I could get in with that as you've stated it doesn't mean I have to be a group leader, I could just be a worker too. I will have a year of experience normally by the time I definately want to apply for a visa.

Is it very expensive to get help from a Migration agent?

From what I have read up from your helpfull reply is that my degree should count as that for a Child Care Group Leader, here in Belgium it just counts as all workers that need to know all of those things and not just the group leader (at least for smaller places, bigger places usually have the option of having group leader(s) that don't actually keep busy with any children. So I will disguss that with a migration agent at some point then. However if I could get in with that as you've stated it doesn't mean I have to be a group leader, I could just be a worker too. I will have a year of experience normally by the time I definately want to apply for a visa.

Is it very expensive to get help from a Migration agent?

I would have little doubt that your degree would be acceptable for Child Care group leader as diploma level in child Care is acceptable, however I think you have misunderstood.

This occupation is only available, as far as I know for a 187 visa - this is a permanent visa however it requires an employer to sponsor you & therefore you would have to work as a group leader.

No expert but I would expect that a group leader is managing a particular 'room' in the day care centre i.e. under 12 months or 3-4 years olds etc. and would be working directly with the children too but would be the senior staff member in that room. So you would need someone willing to offer you a job in that role and that may require more than a years experience.

It is also difficult (although not impossible) to get a sponsored position like that when you are not in Australia - those studying in Australia or there on WHV's and already working at the day care centre are far more likely to be offered sponsorship.

Most migration agents will do an initial assessment either free or for a nominal fee. They will then give you a quote for their fees which will depend on the complexity of your case. I would expect to pay around £2000 plus the visa cost/police checks/medicals etc. All in all I would budget for around £5000.

The initial assessment is well worthwhile as it is really not a good idea to rely on advice of well meaning amateurs like myself on forums.

There are a number of reputable agents that post on here which would be a good place to start but otherwise make sure they are registered with MARN and do your own background checks on them.