Occupation ceilings...?

ScottishMatilda

Hi folks...

Just wondering if anyone can give some idea of how the occupation ceilings work?

I am hoping to process our application without an agent and am worried that when we submit there will be no places left and we would be knocked back on that basis...

Thanks in advance you lovely people.

SM x

The occupation ceiling is the maximum number of invitations DIBP will issue for a given occupation during the program year (July through June). On July 1st, the occupation ceilings reset although there's always the possibility that an occupation will be removed from the occupation list. If you aren't invited during one program year, you'd remain in line for the following year.

I believe I am correct in saying that for the more popular occupations (e.g. ICT, accountants) the occupations are issued pro rata each month so that the total allocation isn't used up before the end of the 'immigration year'

Thanks for the replies folks.

So, is it advisable to submit application in July when there is a reset of the places for those occupations that don't fall under the pro-rata system?

It is advisable to lodge as soon as practical so you are in the queue. That way, once the program year restarts in July, you are already in the queue.

Archived