Moving back after 7m in Melbourne

phillllip

The gov is only releasing land in the northern corridor now. As I said read 2030 and you will all the information about why blocks are becoming smaller. They do not want the city spreading. However it does by stealth of course. Caulfield and other suburbs similar had covenants on their titles to say that only one house could be on a block of land. A while back well it is a while back as I was at work then they changed it so councils could remove the covenants and let the property be subdivided. Previous to this to get a covenant removed was very expensive as everyone who lived on the subdivision had to agree to the removal. Now its open slather for developers and as I said before the only winners are the original land owners who sell to the developers, the developers and the government and it takes a long time. Mind you who wants to live without transport and infrastructure where some of these estates are.

So true, I am in Carnegie. And it is crazy. One of the main roads is basically being bought up by one developer who is building small apartments, some from what I can tell will not even have windows in some of the rooms. The building regulations mean a new development can only be one story higher than the neighbour, as per my understanding.

People are grouping together to sell the mcmanasions as they know they will get top $.

Others have either just left the house sitting empty and crumbling or knocked it down and leaving the land empty with a fence on the front.

Lots of local people complaining that they cannot get parking at the train stations now as so many people now living in the area.

The push for more immigrants and housing, is not being addressed with the infrastructure.

There is only so far you can move out in Australia without, in many areas, finding yourself in a dustbowl. People want to live near to everything and being 20 miles from a school or supermarket doesn't appeal to most so they must cram more and more people in close. This is why we are seeing 400 Sq building blocks and even smaller. Our friends just built in Brisbane, a smallish house and you could just about walk down each side between fence and house.

So true, I am in Carnegie. And it is crazy. One of the main roads is basically being bought up by one developer who is building small apartments, some from what I can tell will not even have windows in some of the rooms. The building regulations mean a new development can only be one story higher than the neighbour, as per my understanding.

People are grouping together to sell the mcmanasions as they know they will get top $.

Others have either just left the house sitting empty and crumbling or knocked it down and leaving the land empty with a fence on the front.

s of local people complaining that they cannot get parking at the train stations now as so many people now living in the area.

The push for more immigrants and housing, is not being addressed with the infrastructure.

Cant see why anyone would want to migrate to Perth now with oil & mining all dried up.

From what I hear, there are a lot of engineers and skilled workers struggling to find work.

• 2 weeks later...

A simple supply & demand model for Perth - Build millions of low quality homes on tiny plots, tart them up to look nice, and sell at ridiculously high prices. Millions who migrated out during silly season are now left paying the price for this madness. Migration programs do not care about people. The object of getting people to migrate is to bring in as many taxpayers as possible to make the rich richer only. It worked in Perth.
Perth is down about 12% from it's high in real terms. Can't see it changing anytime soon.

It is harder and looks like will get even harder. Looks like we are on the road to becoming just another country in the neighbourhood. Singapore isn't very far from passing us. Aussies of tomorrow had best get used to diminishing living standards. That includes apartment living. Let's hope developers are forced to build accordingly, that being flats suitable for a family, not purely driven by the profit motive with poor construction/.

Was looking into buying a flat/Townhouse in Sunshine coast, decided not to as body corporate fees (service fees) were astronomical and often don't include a decent sinking fund, most of the money going into some ones pocket for doing nothing. And if you buy into a multi-story place like in the cites well it just gets worse, you can be spending $10k per year with rates etc. No this is not an answer to Australia's deliberate high price housing situation and will never work like in Europe for eg as that is geared for people not spivs which is the Australian way.

As an aside to this I now see that the structure of Australias economy and society is beginning to fall into line with that of 3rd world countries. Rich vs poor etc with less prospect to get ahead than in previous decades.

Lots of local people complaining that they cannot get parking at the train stations now as so many people now living in the area.

I suspect nothing much will be addressed as improving infrastructure is a cost whereas demand from immigration brings in immense profit for developers etc who are very big government lobbyists. ie, once you have bought your house and paid your mint to the land developer your job is complete.. In fact I know suburbs where 10 years after development they are still waiting for a bus service and cars queue up for 20mins to get out onto the main road. Cant wait till Melbourne is 8Million with the same infrastructure as today, cause that is what it will be more or less.

Was looking into buying a flat/Townhouse in Sunshine coast, decided not to as body corporate fees (service fees) were astronomical and often don't include a decent sinking fund, most of the money going into some ones pocket for doing nothing. And if you buy into a multi-story place like in the cites well it just gets worse, you can be spending $10k per year with rates etc. No this is not an answer to Australia's deliberate high price housing situation and will never work like in Europe for eg as that is geared for people not spivs which is the Australian way.

As an aside to this I now see that the structure of Australias economy and society is beginning to fall into line with that of 3rd world countries. Rich vs poor etc with less prospect to get ahead than in previous decades.

A very accurate reflection on the situation. I think you'll find it not only in Australia, but pretty much in all the Anglo speaking world, as a result of policies being persuaded over the past generation.

I have shied away from similar scenarios as yourself for the same reasons. Fees are exorbitant, on top of poor yield, it makes poor sense as an investment option.

I find it rather amazing, to put it mildly, the tactics of government, working against the interests of its people. It rules for a few, while standards decline for the rest.

Europe is certainly different. Although I must say we pay high costs there these days for management company to supposedly 'look after' our interests, and coming up short of expectations on a few fronts.

Australia being in the region it is with the policy it is following will continue to see a drop in life quality I'm afraid. Perhaps we've been living beyond our means for too long. Or on the other hand, do you suppose something a little more sinister is happening?

It is not easy now and it certainly wasn't easy 40 years ago when we came,after years of being a sewing machinist i was told i hadn't experience in that field by various companies ghat only employed Euopeans straight off the boat. Mortgages for homes were very high 18% every cent i earned paid for it and 4 of us lived on husbands pay. I would have went home to UK then but with two teenagers we didn't want to disrupt things again. Good luck to you glad you are happy and i'm sure your parent are too.