Logistics of the move week

desreb

Hi all,

We're planning to move back to the UK in December, as I now have redundancy due in AU and a job offer in the UK for early next year. We're a couple in our early forties with two kids, 1 and 4, we're renting here, and we have our home vacant and unfurnished in the UK.

I'm building up a checklist, but the one thing I can't get my head around is the logistics of the days around the moving day - most problematically, living furniture and appliances in either location, and how to sell or dispose of them on the day. We'd likely sell almost everything here, and buy again in the UK. But considering we need beds and basic furnishings until the day we leave, and then beds and basic furnishings on the day we arrive, and we need to vacate here beforehand, how do people manage those logistics?

I guess we could rent an AirBnB or hotel for the last/first days, but at what point does that become less cost-effective and disruptive than simply disposing of everything?

Thanks!

Des

Hi, we are in the same boat. We will probably rent a holiday let for a couple of weeks here so that we can get rid of stuff and finalise our bills and finances etc. We are doing the same at the other end as we actually don't know where we will be moving to until hubby gets a job.

Good luck with the move!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi all,

We're planning to move back to the UK in December, as I now have redundancy due in AU and a job offer in the UK for early next year. We're a couple in our early forties with two kids, 1 and 4, we're renting here, and we have our home vacant and unfurnished in the UK.

I'm building up a checklist, but the one thing I can't get my head around is the logistics of the days around the moving day - most problematically, living furniture and appliances in either location, and how to sell or dispose of them on the day. We'd likely sell almost everything here, and buy again in the UK. But considering we need beds and basic furnishings until the day we leave, and then beds and basic furnishings on the day we arrive, and we need to vacate here beforehand, how do people manage those logistics?

I guess we could rent an AirBnB or hotel for the last/first days, but at what point does that become less cost-effective and disruptive than simply disposing of everything?

Thanks!

Des

When my husband and I moved from the UK to Luxembourg with an eight year old, we arranged completion on our house sale for the day we left and borrowed garden furniture and blow up mattresses from friends for the last few days. We slept in sleeping bags which we then took with us. We kept a couple of old pans for basic cookery that we threw away the day we left. Ditto one plate, cup, knife and fork each. Our daughter thought it was great fun, camping out in our own house.

We were a bit skint at the time so a hotel stay wasn't an option.

The most useful thing we did was to keep 'throwaway' clothes. Not very green, but we sorted out clothes we no longer wanted and instead of throwing them away we wore them during the last few days and the day of travel. End of the day, clothes in the bin. Very liberating.

Good luck!

Thanks for the question and info - this is something I've been going over in my head how it all works out. When we moved to Karratha for work they packed the house up and we had to live on cushions off the outdoor furniture for 1 week and kept kettle and toaste (no fridge etc). Was quite stressful and cats freaked out.

I didn't want to go through the same again - but I don't think we'll be able to afford to stay in accommodation either. Good idea about throw away clothes etc. May do bit more planning and keep some pots and the outdoor fridge / freezer up until the day we leave. That is of cause on premise we do sell the house.

@Martinbjulieb Hi - you mentioned in another post you had done research etc - might have some more questions etc during this process if you don't mind (I responded to your email - thanks). Are you renting from Stayz or Air BnB out of interest when time comes? Thank you. Wasn't sure if you can negotiate better rates (i.e. the day rate is near enough hotel prices). Cheers

Edited by suesmalls

We shipped what we wanted and kept bare bones of furniture - then sold/freecycled everything prior to moving into Airb&b /friend's houses for a couple of weeks. That couple of weeks was invaluable for tying up loose ends. Went to the tip a lot but for me clearing out stuff is liberating. Had a garage sale but people expect stuff for nothing. I have moved very frequently in the last 10 years and am now determined to make an effort to stay on top of the clutter. Hard work though!

We are making the big move to the uk in 2 weeks with our newborn and toddler. The biggest piece of advice (if you are looking to sell most of your things) is start now. Especially if you have a car to sell. Gumtree is quite good. We are shipping some items such as cot, bed, drawers and clothes/toys.

We have managed to live without most of our furniture for 6 weeks and like the others above, have made do for eg with our patio furniture as living furniture. We provided notice to our letting agent and have removalists arriving 4 days before departure, the cleaners arriving 3 days before and handing the keys in on the same day. This leaves us with 2 days before our flights allowing for any last minute items to address.

We are staying in a serviced apartment for our last couple of days and will then be staying with family for a few weeks once we arrive in the UK. We are fortunate though to be able to borrow cots and and a double bed from my family until our shipping arrives and we have somewhere to rent. You could always look at gumtree UK for any items to buy cheaply, some items are even offered free.

Also make check any notice requirements when cancelling bills. For eg internet provider requires 28 days.

It's certainly not cheap to move overseas so we hope not to be doing it again anytime soon!

good luck

Good luck with the move @nowandthen so only 2 weeks to go - exciting and nervous no doubt. We are going to be selling our house and whilst we can sell off some furniture it is always best to show homes open with furniture. Actually my OH wants to start selling now but I'm cautious if we don't sell for 6 months etc. But I do think we're going to be loosing big time - you never get anywhere close to what you buy and we paid for big expensive furniture that just won't fit into the houses in UK - especially if we have no idea where we're moving (work dependant).

Are you originally from UK or moving for first time? What area are you moving to? I will be moving to England for the first time after 48 years in Australia so will be some big changes for me.

I do think it's good advice to start selling early so you're not last minute giving stuff away - just trying to sort the logistics of it all (I'm secretly hoping someone loves the furniture and we include with house sale to make it a better offer).

Thank you suesmalls! Wow, you are moving back after 48 years, that's amazing. You will see big changes I think but I bet you settle back as if you have never left. We are moving to Scotland, both origianally from there but have lived in Sydney for the last 10 years. We rent so it's been easy for us to sell our furniture. Must admit tho we have definitely sold things for a lot less than we had originally hoped to get. Still, it all adds up! Can't wait to sit on a couch again soon ;)

Good luck.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, we've booked the flights, and AirBnB for 5 days each side. We've done the high lead-time things first - got the cats their rabies jab, booked the flights, accomodation and rental car, and given notice on the house here. Now we have to decide and pay on pet transport and shipping next, plus book check-out cleaners.