Shipping a nervous dog to Australia

fjm

Has anyone ever shipped a very nervous (dislikes vets!) small dog...? I'm worried that the whole process will be too stressful for her. She's nervous around strangers and won't be easy for a stranger to handle. I'm just wondering if anyone has had a similar experience and how did it turn out? Do they ever get over the stress?

We shipped our little fellow the other way earlier this year. He is also VERY nervous and doesn't like other people.

But we were very surprised - we had photos sent to us from the shippers showing him actually being very well behaved - getting cuddles from them and all sorts. He arrived hungry but otherwise in perfect health. We chose a flight that the longest part would be a night flight and think he probably just slept. In Dubai he had 4 hours to have a stretch / do toilet and then a shorter flight. I think ours would have been worse with quarantine though as did do a kennel once and it was not a good thing for him. But, for us that wasn't an issue as there is no quarantine coming this way

Guest The Pom Queen

Have a chat with @BobPetairUK he is a vet as well as a pet shipper and as years of experience with anxiety in dogs.

Bob may be able to find you a flight that doesn't need her to be handled until she reaches Melbourne. I wouldn't say dogs ever get over their phobias but you could work with it with some simple lessons whilst you are waiting for the rabies.

i think it would be fair to say that all dogs are nervous of this journey to some extent, but we have definitely flown very nervous dogs just fine. It is extremely rare for them to be permanently mentally scarred by the flight and quarantine (in fact i cant think of one person who has reported this).

Start the process - you need to start the rabies work at least 7 months before you want your dog to travel and just go for it. Overall, your dog will be less worried by staying with you and going through the short term unsettling of a flight and quarantine rather than going to a new home.

They do cope really very well with this process and the pets generally worry less than the humans involved:)

i think it would be fair to say that all dogs are nervous of this journey to some extent, but we have definitely flown very nervous dogs just fine. It is extremely rare for them to be permanently mentally scarred by the flight and quarantine (in fact i cant think of one person who has reported this).

Start the process - you need to start the rabies work at least 7 months before you want your dog to travel and just go for it. Overall, your dog will be less worried by staying with you and going through the short term unsettling of a flight and quarantine rather than going to a new home.

They do cope really very well with this process and the pets generally worry less than the humans involved:)

i really liked reading the above Bob, my two little Ines Millie and Bonnie are flying through pet air on the 16th November to Melbourne! To say I'm nervous about it all is an understatement! But I always felt too that that short term stress would far out way giving them to a new home!

I just hope there both ok as i as I know one will get a wee bit stressed out!!

Thank you! That has really put my mind at rest and I feel a lot better about the process now.

i really liked reading the above Bob, my two little Ines Millie and Bonnie are flying through pet air on the 16th November to Melbourne! To say I'm nervous about it all is an understatement! But I always felt too that that short term stress would far out way giving them to a new home!

I just hope there both ok as i as I know one will get a wee bit stressed out!!

Oh looks like it's going to be a pretty full flight as our dog Molly is travelling with pet air on 16th November too. I'm dreading it for her she's so nervous about anything thing new.

Oh looks like it's going to be a pretty full flight as our dog Molly is travelling with pet air on 16th November too. I'm dreading it for her she's so nervous about anything thing new.

My Cavalier King Charles Millie is also flying with Petair on Nov 16th and to say I'm worried is an understatement but we know she will be well looked after and will enjoy her new life with us in Oz.

Lisa

Omg! It's a shame we can't introduce them to each other, before the flights! are you both already settled in Oz? Our dogs fly on the 16th and then we fly the 17th. Had no choice as was not putting them in kennels prior and no family could take them! So it's a massive squeeze for us to find pet friendly accommodation on landing in Queensland before they leave quarantine! Fingers crossed we get sorted!!!

Our doggies will will be fine but like you both I am more nervous about there flight more than anything else! Hopefully they'll all be cosied up next to each other xx

My dog has just arrived in Oz and I picked him up 2 days ago...he is eating for a horse and snuggling up (thats because Melbourne has been cold at night lately!). A little edgy and I don't think he has slept much but all in all he arrived clean, healthy and his Petair box was spotless. One couple picking up their dog from Donnybrook Rd had driven 9 hours from Sydney!