Visa process after 300 PMV granted and marriage - help please

Angela3043

Hi PomsinOz

I've now been granted my Prospective Marriage Visa and will leave the UK for Oz in January 2016. The visa states I have until June 2016 to get married, which we will arrange Feb/March time. So after getting married do I apply for the two-part 820 partner visa onshore? As the waiting time for this is 12-15 months will I need some other visa to enable me to stay between the end of the PMV and the granting of the 820? I've read the Partner Migration Booklet and it's not obvious...maybe someone can advise? thanks!

Yes, you need to apply for the 820/801 visa before your 300 PMV visa expires in June. Once you lodge the 820/801 application, you will be issued a bridging visa which will allow you to remain in Australia until the 820 is granted. The bridging visa will sit in the background until the 300 expires, but it gives you work rights and eligibility for Medicare.

Exactly what I wanted to know...thank you MaggieMay24 (and Snifter). Presumably the bridging visa will allow me to go in and out of Australia during that time?

That would be an incorrect presumption. If you want to leave and re-enter Australia you need to apply for permission and will be granted (hopefully) a different type of bridging visa that will enable international travel.

The processing time when you already hold a 300 visa is much quicker - can be anything from a couple of weeks to a few months. Depending on your timing, you could have the 820 before your 300 expires. But if your 300 expires and you end up on your Bridging Visa A, it would be cancelled if you leave Australia. You can apply for a Bridging Visa B which has re-entry rights and would let you travel.

Although some 820s are given to 300 holders very quickly, the OP should not bank on it. In 2010 when I was doing this, I got my 820 in a couple of weeks but I think now it is more common for people to have to wait the quoted 12-15 months.

The OP should not leave Australia on a Bridging Visa A - that would cancel the visa and potentially stuff up the application for the 820. Bridging Visa B - which would allow travel - must be applied for separately and are not always granted.