Pregnant on a 457 Australian Visa

rishi1986

Thank you for all your help. I'm confused about one thing. Will I be able to get unpaid leave ? I think I meet that minimum annual income requirement. Is there something more to getting unpaid leave in 457. And for long ?

Does the employer know you are pregnant?

You might find yourself on permanent leave. I sense a "restructuring" coming up shortly after you announce your news and you will have no comeback as you won't have been there long enough.

I am in two minds about this. Women are entitled to maternity leave and a man can take a new job shortly after discovering he is to be a parent again so a woman should be able to as well. On the other hand, I would never do as yoou are doing and a lot of people would find this really very annoying and I daresay a bit sneaky.

Does the employer know you are pregnant?

You might find yourself on permanent leave. I sense a "restructuring" coming up shortly after you announce your news and you will have no comeback as you won't have been there long enough.

I am in two minds about this. Women are entitled to maternity leave and a man can take a new job shortly after discovering he is to be a parent again so a woman should be able to as well. On the other hand, I would never do as yoou are doing and a lot of people would find this really very annoying and I daresay a bit sneaky.

Thank you for your help. I don't need more advice on this. Please don't judge anything before knowing the story. Thanks

Please consider the medical costs and whether you could even get insurance as you are already pregnant.

Not all pregnancies and births are straight forward. Mine was not and without medical entitlements I would have had a bill of well over $100,000. Could you afford these sorts of costs in a medical emergency and no insurance?

Thank you for your help. I don't need more advice on this. Please don't judge anything before knowing the story. Thanks

So does the employer know? If not, you would do well to heed the concerns raised on this thread. At this point you look to be missing a moral compass.

Sorry, I'd overlooked the fact that you wouldn't have worked 12 months before your leave. You aren't covered until the entitlement for unpaid parental leave. You could speak with your employer to see if they would still give you unpaid leave but that would be up to them. This is really something you should deal with before finalising the visa since it would have a lot of cost implications for you and possibly your employer, depending on what they may be covering for relocation.