Which Visa? 600 or 651

ChrisJD

Hey guys,

I've got a bit of an odd situation. So I am currently on the second year of working holiday 417 visa, and I have just left Australia to travel home for a couple of months. I will return to Australia on November 1st and my WHV expires on November 10th.

Now I want to extend my visa and stay until mid December (not working), and I am unsure which visa to apply for. As the 651 visa is free, and the 600 costs around $300. Would both of them continue on after my WHV ends?

Thanks

Hi Chris

I'm pretty sure you're going to have to leave the country once your WHV is up, and apply for a Tourist Visa offshore. the 600 visa is for "Visitor visa extension​" inwhich the WHV isn't a visitor visa.

the 651 requirments state :"Requirements

You might be able to get an eVisitor if you are:

outside Australia

a passport holder of a certain country."

there again, you have to apply offshore.

:: Logically I don't think australia would allow people to get a tourist visa onshore straight after a WHV, because people very likely to work cash in hand.

that said. If you finish you're working holiday visa... you leave the country to eg New zealand... then apply for a tourist visa and come straight back. You might be questioned in regards to how much savings you have to travel. If its questionable they may think you have a job which you'll work at cash in hand. I've heard a few people trying this and getting caught out.

Hopefully one of the arm chair experts might be able to clarify this:

I reckon they might ask a few questions when you come back if you visa is expiring 9 days after arrival.... there have been a few posts in the past about immigration not being keen to allow a tourist visa after two WHV's. Theory being you've had two years to explore the country, why do you need yet another month.

I can't understand why you'd bother coming back to Australia for the last 9 days. Immigration are going to grill you on re-entry because you're expected to go home at the end of your WHV - returning for just 9 days, especially if you don't have a return ticket, is going to make them very suspicious you're planning to overstay.

It would make a lot more sense to stay out of the country until the visa expires, then try for a tourist visa.

Why on earth are you going home now, and wasting the last two months of your WHV, if you want to see more of Australia? Why not stay till the end of your WHV and go home then?