Buying a cheap car privatly in qld

marie

Hi,

im going to view a car later (only a cheap one).

can someone advise if I should pay by cash or bank transfer? Or bankers cheque.

Also i know I need road safety certificate- will I end up needing to pay any other costs. I read something about paying tax on it?

And I pressume the owner will send away the document to transfer the name into mine.

from the last car I bought/sold then If the car is registered it must be sold with a current road worthy, if unregistered then sold as seen and you will have to get a road worthy and register it. There is a form you get from the transport office for change of ownership (the seller should probably already have this) it is in triplicate I believe, seller get one you get one and YOU take one down to the transport office to register change of ownership. I would think the seller would insist on cash! or no sale.

You pay a percentage of the purchase price when you go to register it in your name. I would also request a written receipt and give it a very good check over, road worthy's dont get into as much detail as a UK MOT so it could have a roadworthy and still have lots of problems.

Cal x

Guest The Pom Queen

Also, unlike the UK there is no such thing as a log book.

Queensland Transport don't care who owns the car they don't get involved in ownership so make sure you have a paper trail for future reference if needed. If someone else puts a claim over your car Qld Transport won't get involved and you would need to prove ownership to the police. So get a receipt stating you have purchased the car.

Also, unlike the UK there is no such thing as a log book.

Queensland Transport don't care who owns the car they don't get involved in ownership so make sure you have a paper trail for future reference if needed. If someone else puts a claim over your car Qld Transport won't get involved and you would need to prove ownership to the police. So get a receipt stating you have purchased the car.

Actually there is no such thing as a log book in the UK either. It's a popular myth that the DVLA keeps a register of car ownership. All they have in fact is a "registered keeper". They have no idea who owns the car - they just know who the police should contact if it's seen driving erratically!

Guest The Pom Queen
Actually there is no such thing as a log book in the UK either. It's a popular myth that the DVLA keeps a register of car ownership. All they have in fact is a "registered keeper". They have no idea who owns the car - they just know who the police should contact if it's seen driving erratically!

I was sure I always received a log book certificate stating I owned the car. Whereas here you don't get anything from the transport departments.

This website gives you the information you need about buying a vehicle in Qld - including special considerations if buying privately:

https://www.qld.gov.au/transport/buying/rules/used/index.html#ppsr

You also need to check whether the seller is the lawful owner (not stolen) or there is any debt attached to it (in which case the lender can reclaim the car even if you have paid for it). You can do this on the Personal Properties Securities Register:

https://www.ppsr.gov.au/

Archived