Experience with De-facto or PMV

Lever40

Hi,

What are folks experiences with either going down the De-Facto route or going down the PMV route.

My Gf and I aren't entirely sure what would be best for us.

Background Info :-

Im from NI and my Gf is from Melbourne. We've been together roughly 2.5 years of which the first year of I lived in oz , then few months later she came over to NI for 6 weeks and then another few months after that I went back to oz for 3 months and just back from another month in oz, she will be coming over again for about 6-8 weeks at Christmas time.

My gf had been contacted by some migration firm in Sydney which said that the PMV may not be exactly the best route for us. They told her to register our relationship with the Victorian BDM. When I next go over on a tourist visa we should apply onshore for the De-Facto visa and Ill be given a bridging visa which I can work on. The De-facto should then take about 4 months after that. It just seems a bit odd of a way to get to the De-Facto visa.

Any help is appreciated.

I don't see why it's odd. If you are in a genuine de facto relationship (i.e. you consider yourself married, you just haven't had the legal ceremony) then you are entitled to apply for the de facto visa. Usually that does demand that you've lived together for at least 12 months, but if you can prove that circumstances have kept you apart then you can still get it. However I'm not clear from your post whether you are actually de facto or just dating.

On shore partner visa is running at around 14 months processing time from what I recall. Its a long wait and you'd be in a bridging visa the entire time and this can be tough to find work on from what I've read posted by others around and about. Not always but it can be.

A PMV would be the most straightforward given you are not really de facto from what you have said, more dating long distance.

You don't mention any other evidence to contribute toward a de facto application and although registering a relationship does waive the 12 month thing there is still other evidence to provide. Do you have anything to support your application? Have you read the partner visa migration booklet to see what is expected to be included with the application? From you both.

I'd run your case past a reputable MARA agent (you, the applicant) and see what they say. There are plenty of good ones on here you could start off with.

I'd think that if you plan to marry, the PMV is a good option to consider as the requirements for this are a lot less than the partner visa. IIRC the partner visa application off the back of the PMV is what is usually processed quicker.

Thanks for the replies.

From what we can gather we actually have enough ground to prove a defacto relationship but id needa run this past an agent. IMO i reckon PMV is our best route. Although it is annoying that the lead time for approval is anything from 5-14 mnths and then once granted you've less than 9 months to use it.

Would seem that agents on here are good enough to cover most peoples questions without the need for an agency but what ones have people used before?

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Hi,

I think it all depends on the amount of evidence you have, I was under the impression that you had to live together for 12months before the visa is applied for, I have been with my partner 2.5years I am from the UK and he is Australian. We have lived together for over 12 months however because we lived apart for 3 months within the last 12 months we don't have a strong enough case to apply for the partner visa, we are engaged so we applied for the PMV on the 12/08, and I am currently waiting to be assigned a C/O. My advice would be to speak with a migration agent. :)

Hi,

I think it all depends on the amount of evidence you have, I was under the impression that you had to live together for 12months before the visa is applied for, I have been with my partner 2.5years I am from the UK and he is Australian. We have lived together for over 12 months however because we lived apart for 3 months within the last 12 months we don't have a strong enough case to apply for the partner visa, we are engaged so we applied for the PMV on the 12/08, and I am currently waiting to be assigned a C/O. My advice would be to speak with a migration agent. :)

I knew that you can get defacto without living together if you have compelling circumstances but it is very hard to prove it seems.

Howd you find putting together the application? Such as the written statements for your relationship? Any tips for that?

Thanks

Hey, it was pretty easy to be honest I used a migration agent only because I didn't want to pay all that money and miss things, and I wanted to make sure everything we should need to include was at the start, we just made sure our dates were the same but wrote what we felt they are very different and our friends were just honest :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hey, it was pretty easy to be honest I used a migration agent only because I didn't want to pay all that money and miss things, and I wanted to make sure everything we should need to include was at the start, we just made sure our dates were the same but wrote what we felt they are very different and our friends were just honest :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thats what im afraid of doing. Its a lot of money! But worth it. What migration agent or agency did you use?

If you are going for the PMV, you will need to get married. But if you feel ready to get married anyway, one option would be to come on a tourist visa, get married and then apply onshore for a partner visa, thereby cutting out the PMV stage. It is a bit of a foggy area and you'd not be able to pitch up with your life's belongings when entering on a tourist visa, but once you married and applied for the partner visa you would have work rights, I think. Run it past a MARA agent.

Archived