What to do before moving to Oz

ryanforster

Hi, we are moving to Oz in November and starting to get everything in order.

With so much to do around the time of the flight, I wondered if anyone has any advice on:

Things I can do now to save time later.

Is there anything I can start to set up in Oz before we arrive to make life easier in our first week? ie. bank accounts, medicare, buying a car etc.

Any other advice to make our move easier would be greatly appreciated as we are bound to forget something.

Hi, we fly on 24th October so in the same situation

At the moment we are decluttering the house, getting all paperwork in order, stating to cancel direct debits, getting medical, dental and opticians records together, completed tax form.

We have opened a bank account, applied for schools but that's about all for OZ yet so look forward to your replies.

Hi

we are flying in December at moment we have.....

applied for schools and have been placed on a waiting list

booked accommodation for a couple of weeks..

opened a bank account

saved all important documents for easy printing

obtained certified copies of important documents such as qualifications

found the address for the motor registry to obtain driving licences on arrival

we are yet to....

Contact estate agents to discuss viewings and requirements

complete tax forms to claim tax back in the uk

Hi

we are flying in December at moment we have.....

applied for schools and have been placed on a waiting list

booked accommodation for a couple of weeks..

opened a bank account

saved all important documents for easy printing

obtained certified copies of important documents such as qualifications

found the address for the motor registry to obtain driving licences on arrival

we are yet to....

Contact estate agents to discuss viewings and requirements

complete tax forms to claim tax back in the uk

Why are you getting certified documents? Can you explain? Won't you have the originals with you?

I'd not do any of the things you mention other than setting up a bank account.

You can't do Medicare till you are residing here. Buying a car, why would you buy it from the UK. Wait till you are there.

TFN, again, do once here. Its very easy to set up.

I'd focus on having decent references and finances in place for a rental. And as has been said, your documents like birth cert etc is always good.

Also get on to arranging some accommodation for your first few weeks. That would be a priority for me.

Once here its very simple to go get Medicare, drivers licence, GP, dentist, car and everything else.

Guest Priscilla101

Very easy to get documents certified. Any pharmacist does it for about$1

think about electrical stuff- fridge tv etc. either have the cash to buy outright or a credit card as you don't qualify for hire purchase when you land. Check jb hifi and the good guys for prices. (I bought a fridge from good guys and it was delivered next day) but it all costs.

tell your uk banks you are going abroad. If you have any set up with txt security change the number to someone who is staying. I lock myself out of online banking and had to get my mother to forward me the security code to unlock it

Why are you getting certified documents? Can you explain? Won't you have the originals with you?

I was dealing with a recruitment agency recently and I had to send certified copies of my skills assessment.. So I believe it's essential. We used a migration agent to apply for our Visa so it was easy to obtain certified copies for hubby and I after the visa grant(included in their service of course)

A JP (Justice of the Peace) can be found in many places in Australia. From the Qld objective, they are at the North Lakes' shopping centre a number of mornings/half days a week and you'll often find someone in a bank or solicitor's office will also be a JP or Commissioner of Oaths. No JP can charge for their services.

Hi, we are moving to Oz in November and starting to get everything in order.

With so much to do around the time of the flight, I wondered if anyone has any advice on:

Things I can do now to save time later.

Is there anything I can start to set up in Oz before we arrive to make life easier in our first week? ie. bank accounts, medicare, buying a car etc.

Any other advice to make our move easier would be greatly appreciated as we are bound to forget something.

I would book accommodation for arrival. Nothing else, it is all going to be easier to sort when you are here. I wouldn't even open a bank account from overseas, it is also easy to do once here.

Spend your remaining time enjoying the UK, syaing good bye to family and friends, visiting places you have never got round to seeing. Not worrying about administration for Australia. That is my advice.

I would book accommodation for arrival. Nothing else, it is all going to be easier to sort when you are here. I wouldn't even open a bank account from overseas, it is also easy to do once here.

Spend your remaining time enjoying the UK, syaing good bye to family and friends, visiting places you have never got round to seeing. Not worrying about administration for Australia. That is my advice.

I would actually disagree with that one, we had far less hassle setting up our accounts from the UK than we had setting up our daughters once we got here, it needed more ID. It also meant we could transfer money and it was waiting for us.

I would actually disagree with that one, we had far less hassle setting up our accounts from the UK than we had setting up our daughters once we got here, it needed more ID. It also meant we could transfer money and it was waiting for us.

Not sure I get the advantage of transferring money so it is waiting for you? Banking systems are pretty global, the UK cards work just fine and you have to anyway until you can get into the bank to collect. We opened our bank from UK, but we had to pick a branch and then that branch turned out to not be in the right spot for us, we would have been better off just waiting and going into a preferred branch. Overall though, I think it really makes very little difference.

There's not a great deal that you can do before you arrive.

You can definitely set up a bank account. ANZ have an office in London. We sorted all of our accounts out via the phone & then the day after arriving in Sydney our cards / welcome packs were waiting for us at our local chosen branch.

You might be able to organise your TFN but you'll need to give an Aussie address.

Not sure if you're planning to rent or buy but should you chose to rent you can't actually arrange a viewing, they usually take place as 'open houses' at a set time on a Wednesday & a Saturday morning.Definitely book yourself at least one months accommodation minimum for when you first get here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk