50 occupations may be dropped from SOL

Guest The Pom Queen

Wind the clock back a bit, when there was a shortage of workers in all departments. It became a boom (so they called it) and wages went through the roof ( along with prices that have stayed there) everything was tickertyboo. The bosses did not like it one little bit. So why on earth would they want to reduce the numbers of any type of workers coming into the country when they want to redress the balance so that there are more people outside the factory gates than there are jobs inside? It's payback time, and this country is in for some very big changes, so hold on tight. The lucky country? I don't think so any more.

Wind the clock back a bit, when there was a shortage of workers in all departments. It became a boom (so they called it) and wages went through the roof ( along with prices that have stayed there) everything was tickertyboo. The bosses did not like it one little bit. So why on earth would they want to reduce the numbers of any type of workers coming into the country when they want to redress the balance so that there are more people outside the factory gates than there are jobs inside? It's payback time, and this country is in for some very big changes, so hold on tight. The lucky country? I don't think so any more.

No reason at all really apart from falling wages impacting on the housing market affordability. Still maintaining fairly high levels of immigration will go some way to address that.

It'll take a complete change of thinking to change direction and few in politics are willing to take that on. It all seems to be held together by a wing and a prayer at the moment. Only a matter of time before the luck runs out.

Went into my local Post Office today and both folk working behind the desk were Indian (Sikhs) with a long employed English (originally) woman watching them as they were in training. A few months ago it was a Thai woman. Now nothing at all wrong with that on the surface, but all were clearly not long in the country. Were these folk brought out on professional qualifications? Engineers or Accountants or whatever? Were they unable through no fault of their own obtain work in their profession? Or is the Post Office, as are all government departments, in their bid to become multi racial, (reflecting future society) recruiting direct from abroad to work in such institutions? I guess we'll never know.

If they had been Brit's of course it is an unlikely question to have been posed through not standing out to the same degree. Hence I'm fully aware of the racial connotations arrived at here, but it does tend to beg the answer to some questions.

Maybe their husbands had the skilled visa and they came as partner?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Maybe their husbands had the skilled visa and they came as partner?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This has already been mentioned and of course I've no way of knowing. By the way I think it is fine the way various departments reflect are growing diversity. The participants in the case mentioned were of both gender. Neither was very young. Just a point noticed. Not too dissimilar from our supermarket chains come to think of it.

How about people to answer queries who can actually speak English? That would be a good thing to put on the list. Sack all the rude off shore call centre people.

I would like off shoring banned. A fairly recent call to a internet provider call centre in South Africa ended up costing me a bundle. Rudeness is not offshore based I'm afraid either. Language fluency is certainly a factor to consider. I had to terminate a call once, to where I believe was India through incomprehension. (the person denied it was overseas but could hardly imagine her obtaining a position as such onshore)

Archived