Applying for Mortgage / Credit in UK for First Time

suesmalls

Hi was wondering if anyone could tell me if they emigrated from Australia to England (and never lived in England prior) how they got on trying to apply for credit and mortgage. Do they ask to see details of past credit history from Australia or any supporting documents at all from Australia?

Just was reading about car insurance and how you should bring some evidence of no claim bonus etc - wondered if same applied to credit history?

Has anyone experienced applying for mortgage / credit in England when they have never lived or worked in England before and how long before you've been in England would we realistically need to wait to apply for credit card - say if we had been working 3months in one role would this be sufficient? Has the English credit applications tightened like Australia?

Any advice/guidance appreciated.

Thanks

Your Australian credit means nothing in the UK.

Unfortuntaly it is a different system here and not as easy.

You our start with no credit history and have to build up a positive history. It can take time. You might be able to get a credit card after 3 months, but that wouldn't be easy and it would have a very low limit. A mortgage is likely to take closer to a year.

My UK bank (nearly 30 years a customer) would not give me a credit card, despite me having a very healthy balance and owning my house outright.

Santander refused us a 123 account.

It's all about regular income! (I'm a part time IT consultant). If you've got a permanent job or long term contract you should be OK after a while. I have got one of those dodgy credit cards (34% apr!) to build up my credit rating with a view to spending small amounts and paying it off. It will take a while to build up your credit rating - getting on the electoral roll and having a fixed address helps

Thanks for the update - sounds like they are quiet strict then - we have good credit record in Australia but I guess if it was bad it wouldn't matter then. Helpful info, will need to keep "inlaws' address I think as our recorded address as we may have to move with work, get on electoral roll early and get job (which is of cause the plan), hopefully we can get credit card to build credit rating. Thanks