Teaching jobs in OZ

kimberley88

Hi everybody!

I am just wondering if anybody could help me. Myself and my partner are planning to move to Australia in December ( hopefully if our visa gets granted by then). I am just wondering what the teaching prospects are like over there? I am a primary school teacher and I am wanting to know the possibility of getting a job in Queensland ( Gold Coast). I have had mixed messages in the past so I am wondering what the market is like now.

Thank you

Kim

I am not a teacher so no personal experience, but I am a frequent follower of forums. And I am very surprised you have been getting mixed messages about prospects for primary teachers on the Gold Coast. From everything I have read over ht elast seven years, I would have thought the prospects would be extremely bleak. This is a very over subscribed occuopation and then you are targeting a highly popular location. Job prospects are not great for anyone in the Gold Coast, I would have guessed they would be particularly bad for people in over subscribed occupations.

Thank you Bung, is it just Gold Coast where jobs are very rare or is it in general in Australia? What about Brisbane?

It's anywhere where people actually want to live really. There are thousands of young Australian teachers unable to get jobs unfortunately so though you might pick up the odd bit of CRT if you are lucky but if you plan on a permanent long term role, think about a career change. I assume you are 4 year trained because if you aren't then you won't get any teaching work at all. There are probably the odd vacancies out in places where Aussie teachers don't want to live so they probably wouldn't be places where new Pom migrants would appreciate.

I am surprised we still have teachers on the list. Australia did have a teacher shortage but that was quite a few years ago. They increased the teaching courses in university and so more young teachers came onto the market. I did read recently that they are thinking of restricting post grad teaching courses due to demand being so high. Only taking those that are relevant to shortages.

The schools run their own budgets so this time of the year they will start thinking about next year and looking for the new graduates that come out of uni. They are cheaper than experienced teachers.

Both my children are teachers although secondary is their forte.

You will read of a lot of success at getting a job on the forum but when you put it to the numbers of teachers looking for work its just down to good luck in my opinion.

Hi everybody!

I am just wondering if anybody could help me. Myself and my partner are planning to move to Australia in December ( hopefully if our visa gets granted by then). I am just wondering what the teaching prospects are like over there? I am a primary school teacher and I am wanting to know the possibility of getting a job in Queensland ( Gold Coast). I have had mixed messages in the past so I am wondering what the market is like now.

Thank you

Kim

Queensland has the highest rate of unemployed teachers in Australia - thousands. You will have to put some hard yards in to secure work. Start with relief and hope for some temporary contracts along the way.You have chosen a highly popular area to live. As for mixed messages, I don't think so, everyone on this forum has been extremely clear about the limited opportunities for primary trained teachers, particularly for those in Queensland.

If you are seeking permanency in a government school, then expect a very long wait as the Queensland Education Department has a very structured approach - you will not get permanency without going regional/remote as part of that process.

If you manage to secure a position with a private school, then that is a whole different story.

Make sure that you have all of your documents to register as a teacher and remember that it is mandatory to have four years of university education to be eligible to teach anywhere in Australia.

Edited by Sammy1

Thank you everybody for all of your replies -not the replies I was actually wanting but thank you for your honesty. I feel like my dreams of moving to Oz have been shattered. We are just waiting for our visa to be granted now and was hoping to make the move in December. I am now re thinking as I really do not want to be unemployed when I have a very good and secure teaching job here in the UK.

Thank you everybody for all of your replies -not the replies I was actually wanting but thank you for your honesty. I feel like my dreams of moving to Oz have been shattered. We are just waiting for our visa to be granted now and was hoping to make the move in December. I am now re thinking as I really do not want to be unemployed when I have a very good and secure teaching job here in the UK.

Take a career break and then you can suck it and see. Never quit a good stable job unless you absolutely have to.

December isn't a great time to move BTW, so you could possibly rethink that in the first instance - schools tend to have things lined up for the new education year by then and the first term is often more stable with fewer absences. They start planning and recruiting Aug-Sep time with things largely in place by the end of the year so they are ready to go in January.

Edited by Quoll