Private or public??

Loulou

Hi all just wondering if there are any medical professionals working in perth that can help? I have been offerred two jobs in ICU one at a public hospital which is a six month fixed term contact however assured it will roll over until a permenant vacancy arises and a permenant post at a private hospital. Any advice on which would give me the greatest employment benefits other than the obvious of one commencing as a permenant post straight away?

Thanks

Hi all just wondering if there are any medical professionals working in perth that can help? I have been offerred two jobs in ICU one at a public hospital which is a six month fixed term contact however assured it will roll over until a permenant vacancy arises and a permenant post at a private hospital. Any advice on which would give me the greatest employment benefits other than the obvious of one commencing as a permenant post straight away?

Thanks

Probably best to just ask what the packages are and compare yourself. :wink: We could only guess. But if permanent job is what you want then it looks like a complete no brainer decision to me..

Thanks bungo just wanted to know really if private organasations appear to treat their staff better or worse than public as i remember reading something regarding this previously but cant find it! Doing agency work at the minute in public and private but unfortunatley this hasnt given me an insight to the politics that goes on!

Thanks bungo just wanted to know really if private organasations appear to treat their staff better or worse than public as i remember reading something regarding this previously but cant find it! Doing agency work at the minute in public and private but unfortunatley this hasnt given me an insight to the politics that goes on!

It does depend a bit on which hospital, but you are just as likely to be treated either well or badly in either the public or private sector.

With regard to the public sector job, just because they say it will be ongoing after 6 months from my own experience you cannot assume it will, WA is in a financial mess and there are still restrictions on public sector employment so anything could happen,,

The private sector work would be of lower acuity than the public no trauma etc but you may think that a good thing.

I would say given the situation here at the moment to get a permanent position would be a good thing, many new arrivals are having to rely on casual or agency work but its your call in the end, but good luck

Thanks shaunfreo, the fixed term contract she assures me is biding time only as i was successful in the pool application for a permenant post however there are applicants already waiting so am I right in thinking a permenant job may not arise not to familiar with the pool applications! I suppose the nothing beats permenancy at the moment though! Thanks for your response this is what I was the type of advice I was looking for!

Thanks shaunfreo, the fixed term contract she assures me is biding time only as i was successful in the pool application for a permenant post however there are applicants already waiting so am I right in thinking a permenant job may not arise not to familiar with the pool applications! I suppose the nothing beats permenancy at the moment though! Thanks for your response this is what I was the type of advice I was looking for!

Its all a bit up in the air at the moment, I would still be a bit cautious myself ,

The pool works in that if you apply and are successful, you sit in the pool and when a vacancy arises you could be offered a position( and yes there may be others in the pool already waiting ) There is never any guarantee of a permanent position from a pool vacancy , its a kind of insurance for the hospitals to ensure they have people available if there was a mass exodus of staff for example, in the current climate that is unlikely though. , some pool positions have an end date and if no positions become available, in some cases say after a year you have to apply again (if they keep the pool open that is) So they have offered a temp contract in hope that funding is available to make it permanent.

The Private sector is much more straight forward they recruit as positions are available

I am just going to offer advice from a public sector point of view. The government only recently lifted the job freeze (again). Your fixed term role may have the possibility of permanency, but just be aware that if there is a job freeze again then you may well find yourself without anything at all.

The logical choice would be the private sector job as it's a perm role from day 1, but I know for some private staff the role is dumbed down a bit and certain tasks your used to performing might be removed, it would also depend on pay and benefits, check both places or company out on https://www.glassdoor.com.au/Reviews/index.htm and see what staff have said about working for them.