Name on passport and visas

Lassie

This is a possibility but would we run into problems on the application as the marriage certificate would have new name,?

No, the certificate will show Jessica Smith married Robert Brown - the marriage ceromony isn't where the names gets changed. The name changing part is a separate process. (Assuming it's the same in Canada as in the UK - I'm not married but a simple Google imagine search for 'marriage certificate' will tell you what you need to know).

So as @snifter has suggested, it's easy to minimise stress by not doing the name change at the same time as your visa application.

I got married while holding a temporary visa, and rather than mucking with the hassle of getting a new passport and then updating my visa before applying for a permanent visa, I chose to continue through the process with my previous name. It wasn't too difficult with the visa application process, and the marriage certificate was enough documentation to explain why I was also known by my married name. I didn't change my name with DIBP until I went through the citizenship application. Even then I needed to submit the application in my previous name and then DIBP updated the application when I went for my test appointment and brought my documents with me.

The only hassle with going through the visa process in my previous name was remembering to book flights in that name. Twice I forgot that and had a bit of a stressful moment at the airport explaining to the airline why my booking didn't match my passport. Fortunately I travel with documents so I had my visa grant and a copy of my marriage certificate with me and they let me board my flights.

This is a possibility but would we run into problems on the application as the marriage certificate would have new name,?

No, that's a popular misconception. In fact your marriage certificate has your old name on it (albeit for many it's the very last time they use that name).

It's a personal choice but I would counsel against name changes. If you ever need to revert back, or change to yet another name, you find you have to keep providing evidence of every name change - marriage certificates, divorce decrees, death certificates, etc. It's a pain and unless you are very organised, you find that all your ID ends up in different names, creating issues for ever in giving 100 points with the correct name. My wife has had this experience, not helped by her inability to access a birth certificate.