Will our children be happy?

Missingtheseasons

Hi. Ive been in Australia a decade and for a couple of years have been wondering about moving back. I have enjoyed things about aus - the blue skies and open spaces. But there are things I haven't liked. I'm actually not too fond of brisbanites. Very perochial uncultured and unintellectual. Men and women separating at bbqs (what's that about?) women obsessed with crochet. 10 mins of sports at every news bulletin My brain is dying. Give me radio 4 and a good debate. Give me decent newspapers. History. Europe. Theatre. Not feeling like life is happening somewhere else. Holidays that don't have to involve surfing.

Sounds like it's time to go home then! Have you sat down and worked out what's holding you back? I think some people hesitate to go back because they feel like it's a failure, after all the effort they went to getting to Australia, to pack up and go home. It's not failure to give something your best shot and decide it's not for you. Start packing and head for a new adventure!

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My husband and I have been in Oz for over 12 years and are considering the move back to the UK. I personally, miss family and friends, the country pubs, the history, the changing seasons (we live in Cairns where there are two seasons; hot and wet and hot and not so wet), the gentleness of the wildlife, Marks and Sparks, Tesco (yes really). My husband has never really settled and misses Scotland. Our concern is the kids who are 12 and 10 years old. They have been on holiday to the UK and absolutely loved it. I know if we told them we're thinking about going back, they'd be thrilled. However, they only have what they experienced during four weeks of holiday and more than anything (and they were in the UK in January/February) Im worried they will hate the weather and the cold. OK, there's plenty of rain where we live but its warm rain and we live five minutes from the beach.

Has anyone in a similar situation made a successful and happy move back?

Our kids also wanted to move back too (mainly our son). So after some very hard discussions, we decided it would be best to send our son back to the UK to live with family and start high school. It was hard at the time and still remains hard, but it seems to be working out good. He seems to be really enjoying it and is making lots of friends. He even said that it seems more like home than what Australia did. Before he moved we tried to set up as much as possible before hand, for him to look forward too and help occupy his time. We used our contacts in the town to introduce him to as many kids (as possible), who would also be starting high school at the same time as him. With all of the school activities, scouts and such like, it seems to of worked out really good and he has settled in well. He also likes the fact that everybody in the school like his blond hair and the Australian accent. When we go back next, we have plans to get him into karate and a few more out of school activities. Keeping the momentum going and keep his time full so he does not have too much time to miss us/Australia. On the whole though children are easier to settle than what the adults are. They make friends and start enjoying it.

Hi. Ive been in Australia a decade and for a couple of years have been wondering about moving back. I have enjoyed things about aus - the blue skies and open spaces. But there are things I haven't liked. I'm actually not too fond of brisbanites. Very perochial uncultured and unintellectual. Men and women separating at bbqs (what's that about?) women obsessed with crochet. 10 mins of sports at every news bulletin My brain is dying. Give me radio 4 and a good debate. Give me decent newspapers. History. Europe. Theatre. Not feeling like life is happening somewhere else. Holidays that don't have to involve surfing.

You're obviously hanging with the wrong Brisbanites. Check out the Gentle Thinkers and Brisbane Philosophy, Politics and Economics groups on meetup.com, go to a poetry slam or Politics In The Pub at the Powerhouse.

Edited by Blewyn