teaching in oz

Nomansanisland

I have a BLitt and an MSc. I have completed a one year teacher training programme. I received these degrees in the States and currently live in the UK with my partner. What requirements do I need to be able to teach in Australia? Do I have to complete training in Australia in order to teach in the country or can I apply now for teaching positions? If so, are there any good sites to find employment? Thanks

It will depend on which State you are going to. To teach here usually its either a four year teaching degree or an undergrad degree and a one year post graduate diploma in education. Check with the Education Department in the State you are intending to go to and it will give you all the information.

Do you have a visa? To apply for a visa you need to have so many years experience in that field and you have to have your skills and quallys assessed by AITSL before applying for a visa. Once the visa is approved you register with the teaching body in whichever state you choose to reside.

I have a BLitt and an MSc. I have completed a one year teacher training programme. I received these degrees in the States and currently live in the UK with my partner. What requirements do I need to be able to teach in Australia? Do I have to complete training in Australia in order to teach in the country or can I apply now for teaching positions? If so, are there any good sites to find employment? Thanks

Australia requires fours years of university for teaching purposes. This may be a three year undergraduate degree and a one year teacher training qualification (all from accredited universities), or it may be a four year teaching degree. However, lots of different combinations can make up the mandatory four year requirement. It sounds like you already have more than four years, that is a good thing. Most importantly the one year teacher training must include 45 days of teaching that has been supervised.

Do you already have a visa? If so, then yes you can apply for jobs, but you will need to register with the teaching board in that particular state first. If you do not have a visa, then you must secure one first.

Do you already have a visa? If so, then yes you can apply for jobs, but you will need to register with the teaching board in that particular state first. If you do not have a visa, then you must secure one first.

And do bear in mind that the partner visa can take 10-14 months - or sometimes longer - to be granted :sad:

Archived