#censusfail

Diane

The concern is more around identity theft. Information is valuable and can be sold to criminals.

If they have enough information they can create false identity documents and then apply for loans etc in your name.

They may have obtained othe information from other sources like passport number etc or tax ile numbers and be able to add them to this census info.

... There are hundred of organisations that I have provided name address DOB etc when signing up for things so hardly a big deal.

Not sure saying that you've given your personal data away already, makes it a good idea to keep doing so! So many organisations ask for DOB and tel no. etc when they really don't need it. Plenty of people I know have an 'internet birthday' and telephone number. Maybe paranoid but why must we glibly give our information away just because it's on the "win a gym membership" / get free stuff internet form?

I agree but I was thinking more companies like Banks, Telstra, Electricity, Gas, Water, Doctor, ATO, Medicare, Medibank.

They all know my identity info and in theory are just as likely to get hacked.

True, agree. Not sure there is any real solution in for this in the modern world we are living in.

I'd say it was a complete failure to properly plan for the volume of hits the website was due to receive. My understanding is that they did not have geo-blocking software enabled to prevent those outside of Australia pinging the website, leaving them vulnerable to a denial-of-service attack. Alternatively, they just didn't have sufficient redundancy for several million people trying to get onto the website in the evening. Either way, it was a debacle and seriously undermines the important work done by the ABS. Why the hell did they need to go online in the first place? And why did they make it opt-out? It should have been opt-in for a few censuses and then build up to an opt-out service. Very poor planning