187 cancelled, looking for new visa options

mirrikh

I moved out to Aus on a working holiday visa, found a sponsor and applied for 187 RSMS visa. Employer and I had a personal disagreement and he cancelled the nomination. So now I'm back in the UK, researching how to get back to Aus because I'm severely depressed about being back home.

I was hoping to apply for a state sponsored visa. My occupation is Cafe/Restaurant Manager, which is on the CSOL. I have a Diploma in Hospitality and I technically have 10 years experience working in restaurants and cafes as a cook or a manager. However I was working for family and most of it was unpaid so I can't provide the payslips necessary to get a skills assessment. I wasn't with my Australian employer for long enough to cover the experience needed, and he's refusing to give me a statement of service.

I've considered going back on a tourist visa and trying to find a sponsor for a 187 or 457 (as a chef) visa while I'm there, but obviously I won't be able to work legally while I'm there so it's difficult.

By the looks of it my only option is find another restaurant manager job here in the UK and work there long enough to satisfy the skills assessment criteria, but wanted to see if anyone here had any other advice or suggestions.

Thanks

There is nothing to prevent a tourist from searching for work but no obviously you cannot work or trial whilst on the tourist visa.

Are you a chef though? By that I mean do you have qualifications? If not, I am really not sure it is realistic for someone to be willing to sponsor you when you have no evidence of paid employment as a chef. But if you fancy a holiday out there anyway, there appears to be no downside to trying.

I do not think it will be easy to get a skilled migrant visa as a restaurant manager, although technically it is possible. Firstly you would need a diploma in a highly relevant field and then you would need one year of paid employment post that diploma. If the diploma is not highly relevant then you need additional paid work experience.

If you can jump that hurdle, the next one is the state sponsorship itself. At the moment there are three states sponsoring but they are known for sometimes having additional criteria to meet such as family in the state or a job offer. Of course by the time you are ready to apply it could be completely different and no way of knowing if sponsorship will be available.

If you are likely to need a few years to secure the right qualifications and work experience, I would be inclined to go down the chef route rather than the restaurant manager route. As whilst it is impossible to say, I suspect the odds of skilled migration will be higher for a chef than for a restaurant manager.

I moved out to Aus on a working holiday visa, found a sponsor and applied for 187 RSMS visa. Employer and I had a personal disagreement and he cancelled the nomination. So now I'm back in the UK, researching how to get back to Aus because I'm severely depressed about being back home.

I was hoping to apply for a state sponsored visa. My occupation is Cafe/Restaurant Manager, which is on the CSOL. I have a Diploma in Hospitality and I technically have 10 years experience working in restaurants and cafes as a cook or a manager. However I was working for family and most of it was unpaid so I can't provide the payslips necessary to get a skills assessment. I wasn't with my Australian employer for long enough to cover the experience needed, and he's refusing to give me a statement of service.

I've considered going back on a tourist visa and trying to find a sponsor for a 187 or 457 (as a chef) visa while I'm there, but obviously I won't be able to work legally while I'm there so it's difficult.

By the looks of it my only option is find another restaurant manager job here in the UK and work there long enough to satisfy the skills assessment criteria, but wanted to see if anyone here had any other advice or suggestions.

Thanks

Realistically, you will most likely need to find a company who will sponsor you for a subclass 457 visa. There is quite a shortage in hospitality staff, especially in Sydney and Melbourne.

• 3 weeks later...