Confusion between CSOL and QSOL- 489 family sponsored visa

Mr and Mrs Holmesy

Hi there,

I am a social worker and as of 25th July my occupation came off the QSOL list but is still on the CSOL (and every other state's occupation list frustratingly enough).

My question is can my sister who lives in a regional area of Queensland still sponsor me on a 489 family visa despite my occupation being off the QSOL list but on the CSOL one? Or does it have to be specifically on Queensland's list given that is where I would like to be...?

Thanks for reading and i hope my question makes sense....!

Hi there,

I am a social worker and as of 25th July my occupation came off the QSOL list but is still on the CSOL (and every other state's occupation list frustratingly enough).

My question is can my sister who lives in a regional area of Queensland still sponsor me on a 489 family visa despite my occupation being off the QSOL list but on the CSOL one? Or does it have to be specifically on Queensland's list given that is where I would like to be...?

Thanks for reading and i hope my question makes sense....!

I have never heard of the QSOL. But for 489 family sponsorship the occupation needs to be on the SOL.

Reading between the lines, I think you're a bit confused about who's sponsoring who?

There are three possible kinds of sponsorship - either your family can sponsor you, or an employer can sponsor you, or a state can sponsor you. You have to choose just one! So if your family is sponsoring you, you don't need state or employer sponsorship. If the state is sponsoring you, you don't need family sponsorship, etc. You can't combine them.

So in your case, if you're going for the 489 Family visa then it doesn't matter what Queensland is or isn't offering, it's irrelevant. The snag is that your occupation HAS to be on the SOL, not just the CSOL.

If it's only on the CSOL, then you need to get a state or an employer to sponsor you - you can't use the Family visa at all.

It's a shame if Queensland isn't sponsoring at the moment: but you could take a long term view, seek sponsorship from another state just to get you to Australia, then plan to relocate to Queensland in a couple of years?

Thanks for that...I think you're right, I was confusing all of the different sponsorship options!

My occupation is on the SOL and CSOL so perhaps family sponsorship is an option. Although I only have 60 points and I believe that as family sponsorships are few and far between they generally only offer this to those with 65 points or more.

We did think that maybe we could initially go to a different state for 2 years Marisawright as you have suggested. Like you say- sometimes you have to take a longer term view approach.

Thanks again for all of your replies- much appreciated.