Should We Leave Or Stay

jt spark

Hi PIO,myself,wife and two kids (12&10) moved to Sydney from Ireland in Jan 2015 on a 457 visa,we had a great first year settled into jobs and schools etc and we're loving life in Oz.

This year has been the opposite,the company I am sponsored by have been struggling for staff and I find myself working somewhere between 12-18 hour days during the week,and always a full day on a Saturday,Sunday's are lost usually cos I'm shattered and just want to sleep,at first I was told it was only temporary but that was 6 months ago,I've only had 5 consecutive days off from last January and if I ask for anymore than two days off I'm told were to busy,I'm not having a go as my colleagues also do similar hours including the boss,but life is short!!

My wife and I have had loads of chats about what we should do,I love my job but I love my family more,we own our own home back in Ireland and have no mortgage etc and are renting it out at min,my wife and son would leave here in the morning if they could,my daughter and I love Oz but my job limits my time drastically.

Ive spoke to the company owner about all of this and they want to help us get PR in January 2017 and want us to stay,but we know we will probably never own a home in Oz and will be stuck in rentals and I will always be doing crazy hours 4am starts etc,were not sure what to do,our current tenants move out of our home in a months time and the kids school starts back in September,should we just tough it out to we get PR and then rethink what we're going to do as we can give ourselves more options and maybe try a different City.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated PIO.

Even if you get PR, that's only halfway there. PR gives you the right to stay in Australia forever IF you never leave - but if you get PR and then hightail it back to Ireland, your right to return to Australia will expire in a few years and then it will all be for nothing.

You would really have to stick it out until you can get citizenship, which means four years PLUS the time it takes for the citizenship application to be processed and a ceremony scheduled, which can be several more months. Of course you'd be free to take any job once you have PR and might be able to find a job with shorter hours, but your employer may put some conditions on your PR application (like having to stay with them for a certain length of time or pay all the costs).

Would you get a job in Ireland? If not then there's not much point moving until you've got one. Mind you the thought of living in a paid for house is an aspiration for many!

My husband did those sorts of hours all his working life, you get used to it. I know not everyone does but I always have a chuckle at the "better work /life balance" meme that is trotted out, that certainly hasn't been our family's experience. His father was the same and our son is going the same way!

However if your wife is not happy and one of your kids would leave in a heartbeat now is probably as good a time as any - you won't want to wait very much longer or your kids will get their education screwed up with a move.

Even if you get PR, that's only halfway there. PR gives you the right to stay in Australia forever IF you never leave - but if you get PR and then hightail it back to Ireland, your right to return to Australia will expire in a few years and then it will all be for nothing.

You would really have to stick it out until you can get citizenship, which means four years PLUS the time it takes for the citizenship application to be processed and a ceremony scheduled, which can be several more months. Of course you'd be free to take any job once you have PR and might be able to find a job with shorter hours, but your employer may put some conditions on your PR application (like having to stay with them for a certain length of time or pay all the costs).

The time here on the 457 would count towards citizenship and would only have to complete 1 year as PR to then apply.

Gone through the citizenship process recently, it was exactly 18 months from receiving my PR approval to attending my ceremony. that's probably quite good timing too, having seen some recent caper with the process on here. but once you have PR, its pretty pointless not getting the passport as PR is the major hurdle, process and cost wise.

18 hour days? i'd expect 7 figures for those. not a very healthy way to live, your kids don't see you now and in all honesty, may not see too much of you in the future if you carry on. it all catches up to you, physically and mentally.

Would you get a job in Ireland? If not then there's not much point moving until you've got one. Mind you the thought of living in a paid for house is an aspiration for many!

My husband did those sorts of hours all his working life, you get used to it. I know not everyone does but I always have a chuckle at the "better work /life balance" meme that is trotted out, that certainly hasn't been our family's experience. His father was the same and our son is going the same way!

However if your wife is not happy and one of your kids would leave in a heartbeat now is probably as good a time as any - you won't want to wait very much longer or your kids will get their education screwed up with a move.

depends what you want though hey quoll. I work 50 hours a week max, do my job well, but only pull $130k in Sydney. not a great deal, but have sufficient time and dosh to enjoy the city. I just don't have the drive to push for more money, responsibility or stress. pretty content but that's just me. most people in Sydney aren't happy until theyre so burnt out they need to wrap themselves in yoga courses and therapy! ha

The time here on the 457 would count towards citizenship and would only have to complete 1 year as PR to then apply.

They've only done one year so far. The employer is talking about sponsoring them for PR at the 2 year mark. So they'd have another 2 years to go after that.

Hi PIO,myself,wife and two kids (12&10) moved to Sydney from Ireland in Jan 2015 on a 457 visa,we had a great first year settled into jobs and schools etc and we're loving life in Oz.

This year has been the opposite,the company I am sponsored by have been struggling for staff and I find myself working somewhere between 12-18 hour days during the week,and always a full day on a Saturday,Sunday's are lost usually cos I'm shattered and just want to sleep,at first I was told it was only temporary but that was 6 months ago,I've only had 5 consecutive days off from last January and if I ask for anymore than two days off I'm told were to busy,I'm not having a go as my colleagues also do similar hours including the boss,but life is short!!

My wife and I have had loads of chats about what we should do,I love my job but I love my family more,we own our own home back in Ireland and have no mortgage etc and are renting it out at min,my wife and son would leave here in the morning if they could,my daughter and I love Oz but my job limits my time drastically.

Ive spoke to the company owner about all of this and they want to help us get PR in January 2017 and want us to stay,but we know we will probably never own a home in Oz and will be stuck in rentals and I will always be doing crazy hours 4am starts etc,were not sure what to do,our current tenants move out of our home in a months time and the kids school starts back in September,should we just tough it out to we get PR and then rethink what we're going to do as we can give ourselves more options and maybe try a different City.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated PIO.

It it doesn't sound like much fun right now. Any possibility of securing a permanent visa indepedently of employer, then at least you could look to fix up the job situation.

Thanks everyone for the posts so far,my employer is paying for all costs involved with PR although I will be checking the small print to see if there's any conditions tied on with it,we both took career breaks for 3 years from our jobs and kept our home just in case,my employer is great to work for in every other way apart from the hours,we've come this far and I don't want to regret heading home and maybe realising later we should of stayed and got PR and then maybe try and change jobs/cities.

Its definitely not much fun at the minute and I don't want to ruin my health or relationship!

Thanks everyone for the posts so far,my employer is paying for all costs involved with PR although I will be checking the small print to see if there's any conditions tied on with it,we both took career breaks for 3 years from our jobs and kept our home just in case,my employer is great to work for in every other way apart from the hours,we've come this far and I don't want to regret heading home and maybe realising later we should of stayed and got PR and then maybe try and change jobs/cities.

Its definitely not much fun at the minute and I don't want to ruin my health or relationship!

Well you won't get citizenship before your career break is up and if you are going to hang on that long you are really committing to a much longer term because you won't realistically want to move your kids at that point. How do your wife and son feel about that?

No point in regrets just go with what is the best option - one first world country is much like any other so you wouldn't lose anything by leaving but by staying you may lose your health and your relationship. Swings and roundabouts!

If you can qualify for PR without your employer's sponsorship, then go for it now. Sure it will cost you but it's not a large amount in the scheme of things, and will enable you to sort your life out faster.

Like I said, though, do you understand what PR entitles you to? It's far more limited than citizenship.

Archived