Aerospace Engineer looking for a year in Oz

Guest BristolAeroGrad

Guest BristolAeroGrad

Afternoon,

Myself and the other half would like to spend a year or so in NSW/VIC where we both have family in Sydney/Melborne starting around July next year.

We prefer being out in the country which seems to be better from getting a visa anyway.

Getting her a placement seems to be fairly easy - midwives are in demand and it seems getting her sponsored is the way forward and I can come along on that visa, which from some research is the Temporary Work (Skilled) visa (subclass 457).

I'll have been in the Aerospace industry working for Airbus (Structures Design and Integration) for 5.5 years once we travel, along with a Aerospace Engineering degree from Bristol.

I'm probably going to give my CV to a agency to find me placements as it seems suitable jobs right now are few and far between.

My question is has anyone else in the engineering fraternity done something similar and how they did it? Or any advice on the best way forward?

Cheers!

If you are under 31 then a working holiday visa might be the easiest option. This would allow you to live and work in Australia for 12 months. If you do the specified regional work, this can be increased to 2 years.

In order for your partner to work, she would need to gain registration and this is not a quick or simple process. For you, it is work which would be significantly harder as a lot of aerospace work has been moved to Asia

Guest PMBristolAeroGrad
If you are under 31 then a working holiday visa might be the easiest option. This would allow you to live and work in Australia for 12 months. If you do the specified regional work, this can be increased to 2 years.

In order for your partner to work, she would need to gain registration and this is not a quick or simple process. For you, it is work which would be significantly harder as a lot of aerospace work has been moved to Asia

Hi,

We are both going to be working (otherwise we're not going sadly!) - I've had a quick read through the requirements to get Australian midwives registration and I doubt we'll have much if any problem there (Course was done at Kings College London and at the time the best course in the country.) The problem will probably lie in collating all the documentation together.

Ideally from the research we've done it seems going private is better as Australian Midwives in the 'NHS equiv' seem to not have that much authority, where-as in the UK they essentially are in charge unless something goes very wrong, and even in many of those situations my OH, thanks to going to KCL, is trained.

My job doesn't necessarily need to be in Aerospace - engineering is a transferrable skills role - just need to find the right agency or company to talk to. No reason why I couldn't be in energy or natural resources etc!

Any 'engineering' agencies that are recommended?

Cheers.

First, forget resources and energy. Both are in major downturns. Though engineering is struggling generally with fairly high unemployment in most sectors.

You our would need to be aware that generally, people on WHV do more menial work such as bar work and things as one of the restrictions is that you can only work for one employer for 6 months. Your partner would be better placed though.

The main job site is seek.com.au.

You seem to have it the wrong way around for hospital types. In public hospitals the midwives are fully involved and managing ante and post natal care and births. Most people who have a baby in a private hospital are there because they have a private obstetrician managing their delivery.

All nurses/ midwives need to be degree qualified for registration. Have a look at some of the nurse specific threads on here for a better idea of registration and employment prospects which vary widely around the country.

Good luck with it all!

its an awkward situation, aircraft engineering is pretty much on its arse, all agency work with very few full time jobs. the main problem is, so many aircraft engineering companies have gone to the wall (especially here in Victoria) there are 10 guys for every job. there are licensed engineers with 4 types working as AME's for crap money waiting for years to hopefully get a Licensed role.

personally I've just jumped ship, trying to get work with transferable skills. the problem is you need to bullshit to get any kind of start with transferable skills. Companies out here want a guy who can do the job and some, standing on their head juggling to even grant an interview.

if you cant walk straight into the job, no interview.

if you want a challenge, you wont get a interview.

if you know you can do it, and you fashion a resume to show you have in the past and they cant prove you cant. you can get yourself an interview.

I know this sucks and is arguably dishonest, but we need to eat.

suffice to say, this country is so stuck in its ways, change only comes with the collapse of industries.

very little evolution. at least its easy to read a company!

the most plentiful place for aircraft engineering roles is Brisbane, you will need to pay a few hundred bucks to even get a start, id's pee test etc, i would definitely chat to an agency first though, get a feel for your chances.

You will not get a job on a WHV as an Engineer of any type - period. And definitely not in rural Australia!

Nobody is going to touch you in that position for one year either.

You need to rethink your strategy and take some proper advice from a migration agent.

Guest BristolAeroGrad

Won't be going over on a WHV, it'll be on the OH visa.

Thanks for the input though, I knew it wouldn't be easy but there are a few CATIA based jobs available at the moment which is probably where I'd go. Contract work for a few months at a time isn't the end of the world, but again sadly if we both can't get employed most of the time we won't bother, not financially worth it unless the OH gets a stonkingly good job, bit unfair then anyway.

Agencies it is.

Archived