Quick Question (457 to PR)

Bevan

Hi guys so i've been here in Sydney on my 457 visa for over two years now and I want to apply for permanent residency. Everything on the internet seems to contradict itself so wanted to ask those who have first hand experience in this for help. My best bet seems to be the Temporary Residence Transition via the 186 Employer Nomination Scheme.

Whilst my current employer has agreed to do this I have to do all the leg work.

My initial question is:

Does the employer have to submit an employer nomination first even though I am already on a 457 visa? after which I can then apply for the Employer Nomination Scheme visa (subclass 186)

Any help is much appreciated as always! :wink:

Yes. It's a whole new application. Pretty much everything your employer had to do to get you here on a 457, they will have to do again for the 186.

You can't be expected (and are probably unable to do anyway) to do all the legwork that your employer needs to do from their side.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes, first the employer needs to lodge the nomination and then you can lodge your application. If they haven't done a nomination before, it may be useful to use a migration agent. There's some sensitive company financial information needed as well as potentially pay information of your co-workers so it may be something your employer will need to do themselves. If you refer to the document checklist on the DIBP website, it gives a pretty good summary of the information that's needed.