Employer pulls job after offer

Has anybody else been in this horrible situation?

After receiving verbal job offer via recruiter with email confirmation, references taken and all good, call from new manager to discuss potential start date, then contract not materialising, and then told that an internal candidate came forward at the last minute and is cheaper to retrain them than to take on a new person. I'm not too happy with this global company's ethics.

Has happened time and again, including the UK. It's sad and unfortunate when it happens but big global companies are just businesses and rarely care about their own employees, let alone future employees

As you said, until a contract is signed by both parties nothing is guaranteed and this is rule of thumb across the industry. Keep going and dont let this set you back, best of luck to get something better soon!!!

KnK

To be fair to the employer, things do happen which they have no choice about.

I was in a situation once where a manager (in another department) was leaving and they didn't advertise internally before advertising in the paper. It was a job my friend was well qualified for but she only found out about it at the last minute, after they'd interviewed. She objected and they had to put the process on hold while they advertised in-house, since she could easily have gone to the union or the tribunal and made a formal complaint.

The background was that the manager held a grudge against my friend, who had dobbed him in for using the pool car as his own - he controlled the bookings and just pretended it was already in use if anyone tried to book it, when in fact his wife had it at home. He even had a baby seat installed in it! So when he was leaving he had told HR there were no suitable internal candidates.

To be fair to the employer, things do happen which they have no choice about.

I was in a situation once where a manager (in another department) was leaving and they didn't advertise internally before advertising in the paper. It was a job my friend was well qualified for but she only found out about it at the last minute, after they'd interviewed. She objected and they had to put the process on hold while they advertised in-house, since she could easily have gone to the union or the tribunal and made a formal complaint.

The background was that the manager held a grudge against my friend, who had dobbed him in for using the pool car as his own - he controlled the bookings and just pretended it was already in use if anyone tried to book it, when in fact his wife had it at home. He even had a baby seat installed in it! So when he was leaving he had told HR there were no suitable internal candidates.

This made me chuckle, the stories and experiences we come across our daily lives :biglaugh: