Best way to go about getting medicare card

ScottyScotland

Yep, you walk into a medicare office and that's it :)

I think you may need ID - passport, proof of address - I'm sure if you google you can find out.

We fly to Oz in August is it easy to get a medicare card once we have arrived hmmmmmmm

We fly to Oz in September, exciting! I keep hearing a lot of confusing info about the health care system over in Oz. Is medicare the basic cover that is free or does that have a monthly cost for it? I am confused what health cover, covers what exactly.

We fly to Oz in September, exciting! I keep hearing a lot of confusing info about the health care system over in Oz. Is medicare the basic cover that is free or does that have a monthly cost for it? I am confused what health cover, covers what exactly.

Medicare cover is 'free' like the NHS - you pay for it via taxes, if you earn over a certain amount then you pay an extra Medicare levy, so most people are financially better off having private healthcare rather than paying it.

It works a bit differently to the NHS though as often you pay the provider and then claim back from Medicare and it often doesn't cover the full cost.

There are 'bulk billing' GP's and basically they don't charge you and 'bulk bill' Medicare.

One thing to be aware of is if you are over 30 and don't take out private health within one year of arriving you get slugged with a 'tax' if you subsequently take it out so if you are over 30 the decision you make on private health insurance in the first year is one you need to be sure of. We were mis-sold a policy, were refunded through the ombudsman and then were in a right mess as we had been there more than a year when we tried to take out a new policy! Ended up having the policy we had complained about re-instated to get around it!!!

Who are the main private healthcare providers?

There are several, but you have a year from when you first arrive to take out cover, so by far the best plan is to wait, get settled in, and then start researching providers in Australia. You've got plenty of time.

There are several, but you have a year from when you first arrive to take out cover, so by far the best plan is to wait, get settled in, and then start researching providers in Australia. You've got plenty of time.

It depends on your visa, for some you have to take it out before you arrive in Australia, but yes on permanent visas you have a year.

http://www.iselect.com.au/ is a good site for finding out the best provider for your needs.

I didn't say in my other post but Dental and Ambulance cover is something I believe everyone needs as it isn't covered by Medicare at all. Dentistry is costed on the assumption everyone has insurance and is crazy money! I've just googled and the average cost of a root canal is $2000-$3400. Average cost private in the UK is £344 and NHS is £53.90 if you're not on benefits (otherwise free)

Hi sorry to crash the post. Just wondered I think I read somewhere some states have free ambulance cover. We are moving to Queensland- Does anyone know if this is correct?

Ah apologies we were in WA - i didn't know it may be different elsewhere

You'll need to take a copy of your visa into Medicare also.

Second this. And ensure it has the full heading, logo etc and the CO name and signature at the end. Not just the visa grant info in between.

Hi sorry to crash the post. Just wondered I think I read somewhere some states have free ambulance cover. We are moving to Queensland- Does anyone know if this is correct?

Yes, Queensland and Tasmania provide free ambulance service for their residents. In other states it is more complex - see

https://www.bupa.com.au/health-insurance/cover/ambulance-cover/australia

Archived