emigrating with dogs

sharon grealey

Hi, we are hoping to go out to Australia as soon as we can, I was born in oz but my husband and children were both born here in England.. We have finally come to the decision we woud like to emigrate... my daughter 13!! will not go without our dogs, we have 2 huskies aged 4 years both rehome so don't want to upset them again and want them to stay with us. how simple or complicated is it to get them ovr with us and general time scale.. 1 off them

we have inoculation papers for but one of them we don't nd would have to start that process again..

thanks for reading

Sharon

Hi, we are hoping to go out to Australia as soon as we can, I was born in oz but my husband and children were both born here in England.. We have finally come to the decision we woud like to emigrate... my daughter 13!! will not go without our dogs, we have 2 huskies aged 4 years both rehome so don't want to upset them again and want them to stay with us. how simple or complicated is it to get them ovr with us and general time scale.. 1 off them

we have inoculation papers for but one of them we don't nd would have to start that process again..

thanks for reading

Sharon

i would strongly recommend getting in touch with a few pet shippers. It's a complicated process and you have to get the paperwork spot on or they won't be allowed to travel. They will need rabies injections and an antibodies blood test taken about 30 days later. If the results are ok, they have to wait another 180 days before they can travel. So, you need to start with rabies jabs at least 7 months before departure. Pet shippers will deal with the import licence, RNATT declaration, quarantine booking, liaise with your vet to make sure all the other requirements such as vaccinations, worming and pest treatment, are carried out at the correct times and properly documented, plus of course the actual shipping, including making travel crates of exact size to comply with regulations.

We recently shipped our Shar Pei with Golden Arrow -and thank goodness we did ! We had gone through everything ie myself and my vets with a fine tooth comb only to have my vets "loose " the final lot of blood tests a few days before Ralphy was to be flown out

I had contacted the vets - we were on the way to Oz and Ralphy was with Golden Arrow -to find out where the results of the tests were

Pandemonium broke out as it was only on receipt of my email my vet had realised they had not got the tests result back !

Staff at Golden Arrow phoned the Weybridge ( test centre ) and found out no bloods had ever been received

They then had their vets take samples ,couriered it as an emergency to Weybridge and had the results back in time to have him flown as scheduled

Its a very complicated process anyway and in our situation I would not have known where to start to chase up any tests etc

All turned out well in the end though and our boy is now happily running around like he has been here for ever !

We recently shipped our Shar Pei with Golden Arrow -and thank goodness we did ! We had gone through everything ie myself and my vets with a fine tooth comb only to have my vets "loose " the final lot of blood tests a few days before Ralphy was to be flown out

I had contacted the vets - we were on the way to Oz and Ralphy was with Golden Arrow -to find out where the results of the tests were

Pandemonium broke out as it was only on receipt of my email my vet had realised they had not got the tests result back !

Staff at Golden Arrow phoned the Weybridge ( test centre ) and found out no bloods had ever been received

They then had their vets take samples ,couriered it as an emergency to Weybridge and had the results back in time to have him flown as scheduled

Its a very complicated process anyway and in our situation I would not have known where to start to chase up any tests etc

All turned out well in the end though and our boy is now happily running around like he has been here for ever !

This demonstrates the sort of thing that can go wrong and why using a pet shipper is in my opinion essential. The amount of red tape to be negotiated is not for the faint-hearted. I'll be sending my dog to Aus later this year and intend to use Golden Arrow too, on Pat's recommendation as she has used them a few times and they pulled out all the stops to resolve the vet's mess-up on Ralphy. But there are lots of pet shippers around, most with very good reputations - just research them first before choosing.

Contact Airpets. We used them when we took our 2 dogs and they were great. I didn't think it was complicated. You just have to put all the dates they need vaccines etc. on a calendar, that way you won't miss one and be on schedule. Get all your paperwork organised and in order. It is all about organisation and preparation.

Take a look at the link below to give you an idea of all the steps in the process, but if you use a pet shipper they can take care of most of it on your behalf. It is really important to do each step within the stipulated time frames. And make sure your vet uses vaccines that are in date at the time - my vet used an out of date rabies batch but fortunately I noticed the date stamp in time and got the vaccination re-done. The batch date stamps are tiny, you need to look closely. http://www.agriculture.gov.au/cats-dogs/step-by-step-guides/category-3-step-by-step-guide-for-dogs

Contact Airpets. We used them when we took our 2 dogs and they were great. I didn't think it was complicated. You just have to put all the dates they need vaccines etc. on a calendar, that way you won't miss one and be on schedule. Get all your paperwork organised and in order. It is all about organisation and preparation.

I did all of that step by step from day one with written instructions for my vet from both myself and Golden Arrow

I even printed all the Australian requirments and scanned them to PDF for my vet

BUT Ralphy had his final blood test taken with my vet just prior to him going to Golden Arrow and us leaving the UK

I had emailed the vets a week before his tests with full details - again - of where to send the results ie me via email and golden arrow via email

It was only when I emailed the vets while we were In transit to find out where the results were that the vets realised they had not had the results !!!

i received a very distressing phone call in Singpaore from my vet who said the bloods had been mailed but Weybridge had not received them OK mistakes occur but my vet had obviously not flagged the samples as they did not realise they had not had the results returned to them until I queried where they were !

Golden Arrow pulled out all the stops they contacted Weybridge and found out the samples ha never been recived

They then had samples taken by thier vet on a Friday and couriered to the lab and the results were back to them by the Monday with only hours to spare for the final once over

The stress totally spoiled our few days in Singapore which was supposed to be wind down time and it was very annoying as I had done my utmost to get things right

i have not heard at all from my vet but I know they paid the fee to have Ralphy retested and the couriers fee which I think is fair enough

I do intend to contact them soon nd suggest a simple system when samples are flagged and if not back within say 7 days n alert is triggered would have helped prevent a great deal of angst

thanks for reading

Sharon

Hi Sharon,

Thought I'd write a quick hello ....I'm the lady whose 3 Huskies (aged 5.5, 2.5, and 1 yr old )have just arrived in Australia ...they are coming out of Australian quarantine this monday (the 23rd) ...am so looking forward to seeing them :) One of mine is one I rehomed with me, I have had her since she was 5 months old ...her original owner couldn't keep her anymore. What I would say to you is it is quite simple IF you have done your research beforehand and some of the links in this thread contain very good guides. Have a look and read as it's good advice.

Do allow at the minimum 7 months for them to be ready to go ...assuming they pass the rabies test on the first go ...that's the earliest you could move them. I'd strongly recommend you get the normal vaccinations up to date for both... and do get the rabies vaccinations and then blood tests around 21 days later done....it is a minimum of 180 days after the bloods are drawn for the rabies test (providing the results are positive )that they could enter australia. Of course there are a lot of other requirements but that is the first important one and will give you a timeframe to operate around.

If there's anything I can help you with give me a shout ...have just arrived back in Australia so things are a bit hectic but I will reply and I'm happy to help and give you some tips and suggestions when it comes to transporting Huskies.

Also give a few pet transport companies in the UK a call ...as far as I know all are very good and yes they do offer different services. It depends on what you want them to do and what you might want to do yourself ...my best advice would be to have a chat and gets some quotes. Bob from Pet Air is often on here and he's a great one to talk with. Mick from Dogtainers is also on here often and would be a great option for the Australian end should you need to transport your dogs interstate once arrived in Australia. I used Animal Airlines in the UK, they were brilliant for me, convenient to my former Uk location, I'd already got some of the paperwork underway and was happy to do that part, and suited me and the dogs. They did not have to go into boarding at all prior to leaving nor have a long road trip to London to start with ...as they were picked up from my front door and taken straight to Manchester airport that morning which was only 45 minutes drive from me....so it suited me and was better for my dogs to do it that way ...but as I said it depends on your own needs as they may be different to mine or anyone elses. Pet Express transport are bringing my dogs home on Monday so I can't speak to their handling and transport of my trio yet ...however they have also been great so far in organising their collection and always helpful on the phone. I'm confident they will bring the trio safely and swiftly on monday :)

Cheers Mary-Anne

Edited by maryannen

Hi Sharon,

Thought I'd write a quick hello ....I'm the lady whose 3 Huskies (aged 5.5, 2.5, and 1 yr old )have just arrived in Australia ...they are coming out of Australian quarantine this monday (the 23rd) ...am so looking forward to seeing them :) One of mine is one I rehomed with me, I have had her since she was 5 months old ...her original owner couldn't keep her anymore. What I would say to you is it is quite simple IF you have done your research beforehand and some of the links in this thread contain very good guides. Have a look and read as it's good advice.

Do allow at the minimum 7 months for them to be ready to go ...assuming they pass the rabies test on the first go ...that's the earliest you could move them. I'd strongly recommend you get the normal vaccinations up to date for both... and do get the rabies vaccinations and then blood tests around 21 days later done....it is a minimum of 180 days after the bloods are drawn for the rabies test (providing the results are positive )that they could enter australia. Of course there are a lot of other requirements but that is the first important one and will give you a timeframe to operate around.

If there's anything I can help you with give me a shout ...have just arrived back in Australia so things are a bit hectic but I will reply and I'm happy to help and give you some tips and suggestions when it comes to transporting Huskies.

Also give a few pet transport companies in the UK a call ...as far as I know all are very good and yes they do offer different services. It depends on what you want them to do and what you might want to do yourself ...my best advice would be to have a chat and gets some quotes. Bob from Pet Air is often on here and he's a great one to talk with. Mick from Dogtainers is also on here often and would be a great option for the Australian end should you need to transport your dogs interstate once arrived in Australia. I used Animal Airlines in the UK, they were brilliant for me, convenient to my former Uk location, I'd already got some of the paperwork underway and was happy to do that part, and suited me and the dogs. They did not have to go into boarding at all prior to leaving nor have a long road trip to London to start with ...as they were picked up from my front door and taken straight to Manchester airport that morning which was only 45 minutes drive from me....so it suited me and was better for my dogs to do it that way ...but as I said it depends on your own needs as they may be different to mine or anyone elses. Pet Express transport are bringing my dogs home on Monday so I can't speak to their handling and transport of my trio yet ...however they have also been great so far in organising their collection and always helpful on the phone. I'm confident they will bring the trio safely and swiftly on monday :)

Cheers Mary-Anne

Apologies ...I shouldn't type when I'm tired lol ...to correct myself as I didn't want to leave the wrong information in my post above...the waiting time period of 180 days before the dog could enter Australia is counted from after the date of the Rabies vaccination not after the subsequent Rabies blood test ...so 180 days after the Rabies vaccination ....providing the subsequent blood test result (which is done around 21 days after the vaccination) show the correct levels required of Rabies anti bodies . If for any reason the dog fails the blood test it would then have to be repeated and the time period extended starting at the new vaccination date.

cheers Mary-Anne

Edited by maryannen

Apologies ...I shouldn't type when I'm tired lol ...to correct myself as I didn't want to leave the wrong information in my post above...the waiting time period of 180 days before the dog could enter Australia is counted from after the date of the Rabies vaccination not after the subsequent Rabies blood test ...so 180 days after the Rabies vaccination ....providing the subsequent blood test result (which is done around 21 days after the vaccination) show the correct levels required of Rabies anti bodies . If for any reason the dog fails the blood test it would then have to be repeated and the time period extended starting at the new vaccination date.

cheers Mary-Anne

Just to be clear about the timeframe - it's 180 days from the date that the blood is drawn for testing, which would be about 3-4 weeks after the vaccination, making a total of 7 months from date of vaccination. The following is taken from the Australian Government website:

• The animal is not eligible for export to Australia until at least one hundred and eighty (180) days have passed from the date that the blood sample is drawn for the RNAT test (with a satisfactory result).

Just to be clear about the timeframe - it's 180 days from the date that the blood is drawn for testing, which would be about 3-4 weeks after the vaccination, making a total of 7 months from date of vaccination. The following is taken from the Australian Government website:

• The animal is not eligible for export to Australia until at least one hundred and eighty (180) days have passed from the date that the blood sample is drawn for the RNAT test (with a satisfactory result).

LOL my brain is definitely not working right yet ...thank you.... yes ignore my correction I was right the first time !!

Been very stressed ....one of my 3 Huskies currently in Australian quarantine needed immediate veterinary attention yesterday morning after taking ill. Quarantine were on it straight away, and rang me immediately to get permission to call in the vets to attend to her. Of course I gave it and she was seen yesterday....vets were brilliant... gave her treatment ....rang me after ...and also sent me a full report on her condition. She will be released today as scheduled with my other 2, the vet has approved her to travel home so they should all be home around lunchtime ...huge relief and lots of tlc coming up for my poorly one, as the vet said she felt it would be much better for her to come home and thinks she will recover swiftly back with her mum !! She said she is a lovely dog, I think she was quite taken with her :) Will take her for a follow up in a couple of days to my new vets....I hated to hear she's been unwell but knew she was in fabulous condition beforehand so she should bounce back quickly once she knows she's home and sees me. It's been quite an experience for all of them.

cheers Mary-Anne

LOL my brain is definitely not working right yet ...thank you.... yes ignore my correction I was right the first time !!

Been very stressed ....one of my 3 Huskies currently in Australian quarantine needed immediate veterinary attention yesterday morning after taking ill. Quarantine were on it straight away, and rang me immediately to get permission to call in the vets to attend to her. Of course I gave it and she was seen yesterday....vets were brilliant... gave her treatment ....rang me after ...and also sent me a full report on her condition. She will be released today as scheduled with my other 2, the vet has approved her to travel home so they should all be home around lunchtime ...huge relief and lots of tlc coming up for my poorly one, as the vet said she felt it would be much better for her to come home and thinks she will recover swiftly back with her mum !! She said she is a lovely dog, I think she was quite taken with her :) Will take her for a follow up in a couple of days to my new vets....I hated to hear she's been unwell but knew she was in fabulous condition beforehand so she should bounce back quickly once she knows she's home and sees me. It's been quite an experience for all of them.

cheers Mary-Anne

How worrying for you. Hopefully she'll recover quickly once she's back with you - I'm sure the vet's right about that. What was the illness? I'm a bit worried about my old girl, she'll be 13 by the time she travels.