IELTS 8 out of 9 in all four components to gain 20 points EEEEK

poppyblue

Hi,

I am at the beginning of applying for a Skilled -Independant (Subclass 189) Visa , in order to qualify I need 20 points for IELTS to build my points to 65 ! Has anyone managed to get 8 in all four sections of the IELTS? I feel under pressure as if I do not succeed I will not have enough points so eveything is resting on me ! I have a Bachelor Degree but spelling was never my strong point and anything with an exam sends shivers down the spine haha anyone have any advice or experiances they could share about getting high marks .

Thanks guys

Hi,

I am at the beginning of applying for a Skilled -Independant (Subclass 189) Visa , in order to qualify I need 20 points for IELTS to build my points to 65 ! Has anyone managed to get 8 in all four sections of the IELTS? I feel under pressure as if I do not succeed I will not have enough points so eveything is resting on me ! I have a Bachelor Degree but spelling was never my strong point and anything with an exam sends shivers down the spine haha anyone have any advice or experiances they could share about getting high marks .

Thanks guys

Yes loads of people achieve all 8s. It isn't a spelling test (so don't use words you can't spell!), it isn't even an English test, it is a literacy test. If you are a native speaker and presumably have reasonable literacy skills as a graduate, then try not to worry about it too much.

It is well worth familiarising with the format of the test, finding out what to expect on the day (there are lots of rules) and taking some test papers.

If you're a native English speaker, I wouldn't worry about it too much. I took the Pearson PTE Academic and somehow got a perfect score (while I do consider myself a good speller and whatnot, by no means an English scholar). The hardest part for me was the verbal response describing charts/graphs. They give you appx. 10 seconds to respond and I was certain I missed them because a few of the graphs didn't make much sense and I was stumbling on my words using a few "uh's" and "umm's", but I suppose they heard me getting frustrated in English and gave me credit anyways! Now I'm just (im)patiently waiting for a successful skills assessment!

Hi Poppy,

There are a few books available that helped me, my worry point was the reading test personally, I did some trial tests and found that this was an area that I needed to work on the format.

As anything, if it is essential for points it is worth making an appropriate effort to ensure you get the points. I think they get a lot of native speakers who turn up with little preparation, and then fail because of not knowing the style of questions.

I went via the British Council, and they had plenty of trial tests on-line so you can use that as a benchmark once you register.

Best of luck

Ferrets

Guest Priscilla101

I was extremely hungover (looked like death and eating a maccy d's on the way in) and I scored 8.5's pretty much across the board (may have slurred a bit in speaking lol) as long as you have a basic understanding of English. Remember the test is designed for non English speakers to prove they can. Think of GCSEs French exams etc- "I live in the town square. My house has a red door and 4 people live there .... " it isn't brain surgery

• 2 weeks later...

It's not as bad as you think. I got 9.0s except for writing which I got 8.5. Familiarise yourself with the type of questions, pay attention in the listening and you'll do fine

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi I am also 20 points short so will need to do IELTS, I have had a look at their website, which assessment is it for the visa application, general or academic?

general unless you are required to do it as part of you skills assessment then I think you need academic

Well if you are a native speaker, comfortable speaking into a mike without the need for a human in front of you then why not try PTE? There are a lot of pros and cons discussed about PTE but overall, native English speakers tend to ace it with far less stress, tension and waiting time

Take a look

KnK

Well if you are a native speaker, comfortable speaking into a mike without the need for a human in front of you then why not try PTE? There are a lot of pros and cons discussed about PTE but overall, native English speakers tend to ace it with far less stress, tension and waiting time

Take a look

KnK

Thank you, great advice, I think I will go for the PTE-A.

I got 9's and one 8 and I'm a native English speaker and was as worried as you. The hardest part is the essay part, speaking and reading should be super easy for you. I'd suggest ordering the practice materials as then the format of the tests isn't a surprise.