457 visa I'm confused please h

Hi my husband has just been offered a job as a shop fitter joiner in Brisbane, the company are sorting his visa 457 but I don't really understand what this means. We have 3 children 12,10 and 6 will we need to pay for schooling etc. I am currently working as a counsellor and I'm wondering how this visa works for me.

Im new to all this and very confused any advice or information is greatly appreciated.

Sarah:confused:

Usual replies about this topic always mention the usual pitfalls of a 457 when there are families involved. Temporary visa, no guaranteed pathway to permanent residency, school fees, possible future international Uni fees, possible international Uni fees if you return to UK, substantial school fees in some States, 90 days to leave the Country if the primary applicant loses their job.

There are some pro's. It's not all bad. Just make sure you get all the info you need to make a reasonably informed decision.

The secondary applicant (you) can work in any job you like; there are no restrictions (other than for some Govt jobs which require the applicant to be a citizen). Some temporary visa holders have reported it difficult to find work in their chosen career due to the temporary nature of the visa.

Hi my husband has just been offered a job as a shop fitter joiner in Brisbane, the company are sorting his visa 457 but I don't really understand what this means. We have 3 children 12,10 and 6 will we need to pay for schooling etc. I am currently working as a counsellor and I'm wondering how this visa works for me.

Im new to all this and very confused any advice or information is greatly appreciated.

Sarah:confused:

It is a temporary employer sponsored visa, it is linked to the job so if that ends the visa will also come to an end after a grace period. You also get a 457 visa which will allow you to work. In some states school fees are payable, I can't remember whether that includes Queensland or not.

Hi Bungo, I'm not sure maybe I'm jumping the gun asking without all the information. They just said when can he get over there and that the visa process takes 12weeks. He has being told he would be on a 6 months trail period but that the work would be permanent after that. They are paying into a pension as part of the package if that makes any difference.

The length of the visa process is entirely in the hands of the Immigration Dept. So it can take less, or longer, depending on the individual circumstances.

A 6 month trial period seems like a bit of a stretch to me. I wouldn't have thought an employer would want to go through the whole process again every 6 months until they get the right person. I expect that the "permanent" they mention is only in relation to the job; it will be a full-time permanent position until the visa runs out.

Temporary visa holders can take their pension contributions back to the UK when they leave Australia at the end of the visa, or earlier if they leave, get fired, made redundant etc.

As mentioned above, a 457 is a temporary visa which can last up to 4 years. There are some streams that may make applying for a PR visa later easier if the employer is able and willing to sponsor. But you should go over on the assumption that it can end at any time if he was made redundant, if the company went belly up, etc. Many people use it as a path to get into Australia and then apply for an independent PR visa as soon as they can in order to have stability. Some people don't have that option so they hope their employer will sponsor for PR - sometimes they do, sometimes they don't.

It's not uncommon for an employment contract to include a 6-month qualifying/probationary period. Basically if your employer isn't happy with you, they can let you go within the first 6 months and you aren't entitled to lodge an unfair dismissal claim. Paying into superannuation (pension) is mandatory, and the current legislated minimum is 9.5% of his ordinary wages.

Yes I think there is a bit of confusion here with terminology too. The visa is going to be temporary even if he gets through his probationary period and there is no guarantee that it will lead to permanent residence.

At the moment, Queensland aren't charging fees for temporary residents in school but the states are falling like dominoes and I wouldn't be in the least bit surprised if they decide that they need to recoup and the other states have just launched straight into it with no grandfathering.

Work as a counsellor - another little can of worms. Are you a psychologist? The better positions usually require registration as a psychologist but basically anyone can put up their shingle and call themselves counsellors and there are thousands of them vying for business. As a dependent on a temporary visa you won't be attractive to employers as they cannot be assured of your longevity so won't be keen to train you up for a role that you could be forced to leave after 90 days at some point. Counselling services do like to be able to offer continuity of care so that might not be a feature in your favour either.

The cynic in me wonders whether there really is more than 6 months work on offer here - some employers are less than scrupulous with temporary visas, they have a very short term need, probably can't find anyone because they are offering under the market rate, pad it out with promises of overtime which never eventuate then pull the plug and make you redundant.

Hi Bungo, I'm not sure maybe I'm jumping the gun asking without all the information. They just said when can he get over there and that the visa process takes 12weeks. He has being told he would be on a 6 months trail period but that the work would be permanent after that. They are paying into a pension as part of the package if that makes any difference.

I don't think there is anything jumping the gun about asking questions, it is important that you do understand your visa, some people go in without appearing to have done their homework. Good on you.

All employers are bound by law to pay into a pension, caller superannuation, so there is nothing remarkable about that at all. Six month probation is a bit long but it happens, I was on six months probation when I got my first job in Australia.

The visa process could take anything from a couple of weeks to a few months, depending upon various factors. If the company has sponsored before it might be quicker for example. Even if you do decide to stagger your arrival, make sure you all get your visa at the same time from the start, otherwise you will need to go through the whole process all over again when you want to join him.

The main thing that you need to understand about this visa is that it is temporary. It is and always will be, it does not turn into a permanent visa over time and you are not entitled to apply for something permanent purely because of the passage of time.

The visa is much maligned, but only because so many do not appear to take in its temporary nature and are then horrified to discover they have to leave Australia.

Archived