Anyone shipped nervous cat?

brit1

Hello all, just wondering whether anyone has shipped a nervous feline friend from Oz to UK and how did they travel, did you have to use any sedatives? My 3 year old cat is not normally a nervous cat but is terrified of going in the car. Obviously I am concerned about sending her half way around the world, but she is a firm part of our family. Thanks.

No you cannot give sedatives before a flight, that is not good for them. I dn't think many cats particularly like being in cars, mine will be very vocal about it. But for 24 hours, a cat will do what it always does, curl up and go to sleep. Don't worry about it.

Animals cannot be sedated for flying. Not allowed.

Agree with Bungo, lots of cats don't like cars. Probably as they associate those times with a vet or cattery?

I'd try not to stress too much. Talk to your pet shipper about your concerns and see what they say re cats shipping in their crates.

Hello all, just wondering whether anyone has shipped a nervous feline friend from Oz to UK and how did they travel, did you have to use any sedatives? My 3 year old cat is not normally a nervous cat but is terrified of going in the car. Obviously I am concerned about sending her half way around the world, but she is a firm part of our family. Thanks.

Hi Brit1,

We ship around 3,000 cats a years domestically and internationally and use a few natural calming products in nicely enclosed plastic crates would be very happy to help with your move if you need it.

Best Regards

Mick

We shipped an extremely nervous cat that is terrified travelling in a car to a point that he meows all the time and sheds like crazy. However, he looked great when we picked him up from the quarantine and seemed very timid. Obviously, they get over the anxiety during the flights. Just do not think much about it, the cat will manage.

My cat meows like crazy on the short trip in the car to the vet.

I expect a lot of cats do.

It is probably being in the cat carry cage rather than the car though that is upsetting for her.

But I expect even in a car the cat would settle down after an hour or so and just put up with it if a long journey.

On a plane a cat is not going to meow for 14 hours. It will settle down and go to sleep.

Thanks all. Yes, ours not only meows but vomits and poops herself within 10 minutes of getting in the car. I've started to sit in the car with her 5 mins per day so that she doesn't associate travel with the vet.

Archived