Anything you wish you'd bought new in the UK and shipped to Australia?

richev

For those who have moved to Aus, are there any things that you wish you'd bought new in the UK and shipped out (and that would have been financially worth it even after paying import duty on them)?

I started thinking about this after comparing Dyson vacuum prices between the UK and Aus, where one model is selling in the UK at less than half price than a similar variant in Aus

vs

Granted that this is a bit of an unusual example as that UK Dyson is last year's model and hence on sale. But it's often said that things tend to be more expensive in Aus than the UK, which got me thinking...

You have a $900 (it used to be) limit before you get taxed.

A vacuum cleaner is one of the items customs will be focused on as it contains dirt, seeds, fibres etc.

It was the only item we brought over as 'brand new in box', and we made specific mention of this on the paperwork.

EVERYTHING else was shipped without its original packaging, no matter whether it was one month old or twenty years old.

It was all owned by us, used by us, never going to be sold at a profit by us,

So we ensured we wouldnt be paying any import taxes on our shipment by claiming nothing else as less than that magical one year old........

I'd not buy a Dyson if you paid me so I'd never say buy it in the UK to ship to Aus.

If I were moving over again it would be more of what I did stock up on. Decent towels and bedding (if shipping beds). Apart from that little else. We bought a Miele vaccum cleaner for $200 here and I rate it far better than I do any Dyson. And a lot cheaper.

For those who have moved to Aus, are there any things that you wish you'd bought new in the UK and shipped out (and that would have been financially worth it even after paying import duty on them)?

I started thinking about this after comparing Dyson vacuum prices between the UK and Aus, where one model is selling in the UK at less than half price than a similar variant in Aus

vs

Granted that this is a bit of an unusual example as that UK Dyson is last year's model and hence on sale. But it's often said that things tend to be more expensive in Aus than the UK, which got me thinking...

I saw a shop window here with certain Dyson models at half price last week (can't recall the store as wasn't in the market for one). Probably older models like your example.

I haven't yet found anything you could buy and bring over more expensive over here (if you are calculating on a rough 2:1 exchange rate). In fact the reverse is true in many instances and over here you rarely seem to pay the advertised price in store as they expect and seem to welcome haggling (probably one of the prime reasons why internet shopping has not taken off like it has in UK).

I'd not buy a Dyson if you paid me so I'd never say buy it in the UK to ship to Aus.

If I were moving over again it would be more of what I did stock up on. Decent towels and bedding (if shipping beds). Apart from that little else. We bought a Miele vaccum cleaner for $200 here and I rate it far better than I do any Dyson. And a lot cheaper.

I have a Miele too. Used a Dyson when in the UK last year staying with a friend. Good cleaner as well though I don't know why everyone raves about them.

I have a Miele too. Used a Dyson when in the UK last year staying with a friend. Good cleaner as well though I don't know why everyone raves about them.

Thing is aswell, you never know what kind of house you'll end up in. If we had loads of tiled or wooden floors and upright vaccum would be rubbish on them and using an attachment all the time would be a pain. We have quite a lot of carpet atm and will have more wood in future so bought a cylinder to suit that here.

We've had several Dysons and to be honest we wouldn't buy another. They've all fallen apart after a couple of years. We have a Bosch at the moment which is great - and haggled a great deal. We did bring vacuums over - we just cleaned them well and that was fine. I REALLY wish I'd brought my wonderful Honda mower over - large and self-propelled. We were told it wasn't worth the hassle cleaning it so we got rid of it for a fraction of what we paid. A while later my wife knew someone whi bought theirs in - they only paid $180 to have it nuked. by bio-control. I've found decent mowers are expensive here, and you only seem to be able to get the basic flymo at an extortionate cost.

• 3 weeks later...
I wonder how it is physically feasible to clean the house after items have been placed in the container and still have time to clean the dyson on time for it to be put in the container as well.

We borrowed a friends vacuum for an afternoon and then swept the kitchen and hall floors as they were hard surfaces. Mind you, we didn't ship our vacuum as we had binned it a few days before.

Archived