Shipping Car Back to the UK from Sydney

britsabroad2013

Hi,

We have decided to make the move back to the UK and I am trying to figure out if it is worth shipping back our car. Any advise or costs from people who have done this would be greatly appreciated.

From limited internet research I have come up with the below costs, how far off the mark am I with these? I also realise that to pass the IVA test I will need a rear fog light fitted as well as the speedometer changing to MPH:

Shipping (ROR, including port fees): $1,961

Shipping insurance: $200

IVA Test: $400

MOT: $100

Customs Fees: $100

DVLA Registration Fees: $110

Total: $2,871

Another question is how would I get the car from the port in the UK to the garage to fit the fog light & then the testing centre, as I imagine I will be unable to insure an Australian car in the UK?

Thanks for any help you can give.

We've got a car shipper on the forums, the best bet is to ask him:

http://www.pomsinoz.com/forum/transport-shipping/138727-worth-bringing-my-car-iron-ladys-trusty-new-calculator-reveals-all.html

In general though, most people find it's not worth shipping a car back to the UK, because second-hand cars are generally cheaper there. Having just returned last year, I'd say that's true, UNLESS you want an automatic. Neither my oh nor I can drive a manual, and didn't want to start learning at over 60! So we had to buy an automatic and we were surprised how much dearer they were. They are fairly scarce on the UK market so I guess that's why.

I would think long and hard before bringing a car back as unless it is something special there would be no point. Cars are so cheap here it is a false economy. You wouldn't have a problem insuring it. Can I ask what type of car it is ?

Hi,

We have decided to make the move back to the UK and I am trying to figure out if it is worth shipping back our car. Any advise or costs from people who have done this would be greatly appreciated.

From limited internet research I have come up with the below costs, how far off the mark am I with these? I also realise that to pass the IVA test I will need a rear fog light fitted as well as the speedometer changing to MPH:

Shipping (ROR, including port fees): $1,961

Shipping insurance: $200

IVA Test: $400

MOT: $100

Customs Fees: $100

DVLA Registration Fees: $110

Total: $2,871

Another question is how would I get the car from the port in the UK to the garage to fit the fog light & then the testing centre, as I imagine I will be unable to insure an Australian car in the UK?

Thanks for any help you can give.

We took our Holden Captiva cost us around 1200 quid to get it on the road as it needed a speedo in MPH !ours allready had fog lights The company who did all the work picked it up then delivered it to us Insurance because it's not the norm is huge nearly 1400 quid the first year

Thanks for the replies, I have posted on the other thread to see what the expert thinks! As its a Hyundai I30 I'm pretty sure it won't be worth it - seems a shame as owned since new and relatively low km's

I can tell you 100% it won't be worth it, sorry to be blunt.

It was on Ebay and I can't link to my EBay app on this tablet. Just type in i30 into Ebay UK and you will get loads of results. There is also a much bigger range of cars to choose from here.

eBay is a good tip. I would never have thought of buying or selling a car on eBay in Australia, but it seems to be one of the main ways to do it in the UK.

eBay is a good tip. I would never have thought of buying or selling a car on eBay in Australia, but it seems to be one of the main ways to do it in the UK.

Ebay is brilliant for cars, we bought both of ours on Ebay when we arrived here.

Ebay is brilliant for cars, we bought both of ours on Ebay when we arrived here.

Is Gumtree still good ? That was getting popular for selling cars when we left, as it was cheaper than Ebay and Auto trader, the vehicles on Gumtree always seemed a bit cheaper too. That was 10 years ago though,lol

Cal x

Is Gumtree still good ? That was getting popular for selling cars when we left, as it was cheaper than Ebay and Auto trader, the vehicles on Gumtree always seemed a bit cheaper too. That was 10 years ago though,lol

Cal x

Yes Gumtree is very good as well, there is also a new new one called Shpock, weird name but we have bought and so,d on there and it's all free which is why Ebay is losing out.

It has 116,000 in the detailed description, no wonder it's not selling!

Oh right, I didn't see that. Yeah you can easily get one with half that mileage for not much more money. Having said that I'm not overly worried about mileage anymore. We bought 2 new cars in Australia and just lost so much money on them it wasn't funny so now we just buy older cars in good condition. My latest passed it's MOT last week needing nothing spent on it.

• 2 months later...

Just received registration documents from DVLA for my July 2014 LandCruiser which left Sydney on 28 March 2016.

Costs to date;

Shipping; £1250 (approx, came in a container with everythig else)

Demurrage by shipping company; £500 (Gerson ripped us off on this one)

Vehicle Registration Services costs;

IVA Compliance Test fee £199

12 months road tax £235

DVLA first registration fee £55

Collection from relocation depot £190

Pre IVA inspection and presentation for test £245

Supply & fit UK number plates £45

Administration and registration £240

Supply and fit speedometer display £335

Remove tow bar £135

Supply and fit UK compliant fog light £155

VAT £269

Car rental in the 16 weeks to get the car back £2000

So a grand total of £5,853 or AU$10,000

DVLA has now told me I can only register it as a '63' registration - thus making it the same age as August '13 car in the UK, so when it comes to selling, my car will look a year older than it is.

DON'T BRING YOUR CAR BACK FROM AUSTRALIA.

I would never even consider bringing a car back this way to be honest. Secondhand cars are so much cheaper it just isn't worth it. Also the idea that cars here are all attacked by salt on the roads is no longer relevant as modern cars are so well protected. It just isn't worth it.

• 5 weeks later...

Hi, we brought our patrol over. A 2012, cost us £1495 for all paperwork, mot, reg, tax, modifications (rear gigs and mph) testing etc. we used Sigma automotive for all that. Shipping was same as you as it was in the go tai er with everything else. No demurrage luckily as there had been a strike at docks day our car arrived and port/shipping co waive red all fees to customers for the week.

We we couldn't buy our car here, nothing later than a 2009 patrol plus we've modified it to do done overlanding st a later date. We just weighed up what we would like had we sold it and couldn't find a car comparable. It was fitting at my parents house getting ridiculously low offers to buy, for 6 months before we decided to out it on a ship.

But I am not having luck getting any decent ibsurance quotes, despite it being fully road worthy, checked and tested and registered with DVLA, short term insurance is crippling. Now waiting on the British car insurance association to help me. Have you managed to get good ibsurance? My quotes so far rNge from £1500-2500!!!

Archived