Comfortable life?

Suziedoll

Hi all. We are a family of four and I'm a stay at home mum.

Do you think if we were mortgage free in Brisbane and husband was earning 65k a year that we could be comfortable? Or would it be a struggle?

We wouldn't have any car loans or anything.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

...........I guess the only way to have a fair idea......

...........is to convert the amount your comfortable with where you are.....

...........to Australian dollars.....

...........does the salary cover it....?

...........saying that many come with very little......

...........and slowly build up to comfortable......

............if your determined.......you'll do it....

.............the best of luck to you and yours......Xx

If you had PR so you received family tax benefit and free (ish) schooling you'd get by. You could not afford to travel back to the UK as a family with any regularity. Also if your children are getting towards university you have to bear in mind that you will be paying upfront fees of thousands per year until they are citizens.

On a 457 visa with no assistance and school fees - no, I don't think you would flourish.

Do you think if we were mortgage free in Brisbane and husband was earning 65k a year that we could be comfortable? Or would it be a struggle?

If if you could live comfortably in say Manchester mortgage free and on £25-30k, well then the answer is yes. It is best to think about this in terms of what you find comfortable as what other people find comfortable may not be the same thing.

If if you could live comfortably in say Manchester mortgage free and on £25-30k, well then the answer is yes. It is best to think about this in terms of what you find comfortable as what other people find comfortable may not be the same thing.

It DOES depend on your visa status though. In Manchester school is free and they would get tax credits

I would not call that comfortable but you could manage ok. With two kids you are likely to run two cars here so bear that in mind. How old are your children as that will make a difference. As Bungo said if you think £25-£30k mortgage-free in Manchester running two cars is comfortable then the answer is yes.

Also consider take home after tax and Super, not gross.

Comfortable is relative.

Thanks all. Its a PR visa and kids are 1 and 3. Don't imagine us wanting to get back to UK very often.

Not worried about later in life like Uni etc as we have a few rental houses in the UK which should be paid off by then. It's just getting through say the next 8 years.

Thanks all. Its a PR visa and kids are 1 and 3. Don't imagine us wanting to get back to UK very often.

Not worried about later in life like Uni etc as we have a few rental houses in the UK which should be paid off by then. It's just getting through say the next 8 years.

One point I would make is that you are likely to spend a lot more than you might expect in the first 6 months to two years. When you buy a home there are always unexpected and unforseen issues with the house as well as any possible renovation or decorating costs. We also needed stuff that we either could not bring over or the equivalent was decrepit so not worth shipping. In our case lawn mower, whipper snipper, outdoor furniture and some garden tools, a bigger bed and mattress as our old double looked tiny here.

It also takes a little while to get the lie of the land, find the best retailers/tradespeople/services and get savvy with purchases so you will probably pay too much for some things at first.

You may also incur more costs while waiting for your shipment to arrive and may have to allow for a period while your OH is looking for work/waiting fir first pay. As long as you have a decent sum as a buffer when you arrive you should be ok.

There is a lot to do that is free here though which helps a lot, much more than back in the UK we find.

I think you will be fine, we managed in similar circumstances for a god few years and went away for weekends, had day trips, take out's etc... Just take things easier until you have found your feet as the first year here seems to eat your money.

Cal x

Archived