passport/citizenship question

bencrom81

hello everyone. happy Anzac weekend..

question regarding citizenship which I will try to make as understandable as possible.

so like many on here, I'm looking at heading home to the UK this year after a long bumpy road to citizenship. so my citizenship ceremony was finally granted late next month.

between passing my test and now, my brother has arranged his wedding which means I fly out 3 days later than my ceremony.

ideally, I would like to attend my ceremony, get my certificate, fly back to uk on my uk passport, then return and apply for my Australian passport when I'm back.

is this possible? hope this was clearly worded, I do tend to waffle.

hello everyone. happy Anzac weekend..

question regarding citizenship which I will try to make as understandable as possible.

so like many on here, I'm looking at heading home to the UK this year after a long bumpy road to citizenship. so my citizenship ceremony was finally granted late next month.

between passing my test and now, my brother has arranged his wedding which means I fly out 3 days later than my ceremony.

ideally, I would like to attend my ceremony, get my certificate, fly back to uk on my uk passport, then return and apply for my Australian passport when I'm back.

is this possible? hope this was clearly worded, I do tend to waffle.

Your problem will be boarding the flight back and re entering Australia. I would make an appointment for an express passport the day after your ceremony.

Your problem will be boarding the flight back and re entering Australia. I would make an appointment for an express passport the day after your ceremony.

thanks so much for the response. can I make an appointment online to get this express passport? this is encouraging news

I cant seem to find anywhere online to book this express passport facility. just seems a 2 day turnaround would be quickest but still may not be quick enough!

given the nature of my local council, I wouldn't want to defer (waited for a long time!) and I also don't want to get in trouble with customs when I fly back.

would I be on the citizens list if I attend a ceremony and don't have a passport, given I wouldn't have passport ID numbers etc?

if anyone could give me some words of wisdom, I would be appreciative! ta

I cant seem to find anywhere online to book this express passport facility. just seems a 2 day turnaround would be quickest but still may not be quick enough!

given the nature of my local council, I wouldn't want to defer (waited for a long time!) and I also don't want to get in trouble with customs when I fly back.

would I be on the citizens list if I attend a ceremony and don't have a passport, given I wouldn't have passport ID numbers etc?

if anyone could give me some words of wisdom, I would be appreciative! ta

If you don't want to delay and don't want any trouble with immigration, then I can only repeat my earlier words of wisdom to get a passport! If you are flying three days after ceremony then a two day turnaround would work. Or perhaps you could look into getting it in UK, if you are going anywhere near London.

If you want to risk it, fly without passport, but you would need to be prepared for delays and probably a stressful time at the airport as you try persuading the airline to let you board. If you overcome that, I am sure you will be able to convince an immigration officer to let you into the country, the airline is likely to be your biggest hurdle.

Personally, I try not to cause myself stress so I would definitely be getting the passport or delaying my ceremony.

If you don't want to delay and don't want any trouble with immigration, then I can only repeat my earlier words of wisdom to get a passport! If you are flying three days after ceremony then a two day turnaround would work. Or perhaps you could look into getting it in UK, if you are going anywhere near London.

If you want to risk it, fly without passport, but you would need to be prepared for delays and probably a stressful time at the airport as you try persuading the airline to let you board. If you overcome that, I am sure you will be able to convince an immigration officer to let you into the country, the airline is likely to be your biggest hurdle.

Personally, I try not to cause myself stress so I would definitely be getting the passport or delaying my ceremony.

yeah fair enough, I understand. I may just risk it - I don't want unnecessary stress, but luckily for me I am a stupid as I look so I may be looked upon sympathetically.

Maybe take as much paperwork relating to you your citizenship process as you can - official invite/notification letter for ceremony etc. It won't of course substitute a passport in any way, and isn't going to be counted as official documentation, but it might just help or go some way to explaining your status.

3 days should be enough for an express passport - all depending on time of the ceremony you could go to the passport office straight after and give yourself a bit of extra time. Get everything filled out beforehand. Much the best option!

Archived