Question about posting parcel from UK to AUS (Australia's Front Line vs Wool Scarf)

youroverlyattachedbf

Yet another question about post, because I'd like to just get a consensus to allay my fears or possibly aggravate them:

I just dropped off a parcel at my local postie, and did fill in the relevant declaration forms (although, unfortunately, there wasn't enough room to list everything so I just listed what might be an issue with customs, namely commercially-packaged biscuits/sweets, the painting on board and the scarf), and was wondering whether I should be worried about A) a wool scarf (made from a mix of yak and virgin wool, also thoroughly washed) and B) an oil painting on primed wood board. I did leave a note inside for customs mentioning the painting and scarf (and tables that I stole from this website: http://independentstitch.typepad.com/the_independent_stitch/2012/02/shipping-wool-internationally.html), and also described both items on the CN22 label that's stuck on the back.

Any input is, as always, much appreciated!

Yet another question about post, because I'd like to just get a consensus to allay my fears or possibly aggravate them:

I just dropped off a parcel at my local postie, and did fill in the relevant declaration forms (although, unfortunately, there wasn't enough room to list everything so I just listed what might be an issue with customs, namely commercially-packaged biscuits/sweets, the painting on board and the scarf), and was wondering whether I should be worried about A) a wool scarf (made from a mix of yak and virgin wool, also thoroughly washed) and B) an oil painting on primed wood board. I did leave a note inside for customs mentioning the painting and scarf (and tables that I stole from this website: http://independentstitch.typepad.com/the_independent_stitch/2012/02/shipping-wool-internationally.html), and also described both items on the CN22 label that's stuck on the back.

Any input is, as always, much appreciated!

As youve already dropped it off, there is no way any opinion or experience given is going to help you.

All you can do now is wait,

But it might be helpful to someone else in the future, if you come back and give an update on the eventual outcome.

I'm with @dmjg on this one. Yes it would be a shame if the items don't get through, but it's too late now. I think your items sound innocent enough, but who knows what customs will make of it all... :policeman:

As a distraction from your scarf, I will tell you that I once sent a piece of the Berlin wall from the UK to Australia (very small piece in a plastic display container) and it got through, but took a long time. I think I recall customs opening it but can't remember if I described it as 'a piece of the Berlin wall' or something more vague...

Fingers crossed. I think it should be okay. I mean a scarf made from what I presume is treated wool that you buy from a craft store is... fairly innocuous.

Did a quick google, would've thought remnants of the Berlin Wall would've been worth more. Like when they released special editions of Charlie Hebdo. There's also a Donald Trump 'Make America Great Again' cap inside that they might find more offensive.

Hopefully you will be fine, the only item i have ever personally known be confiscated was a wheat pack from inside a heat up teddy bear, they still sent the deflated teddy bear through though,lol..

I agree with another poster in that it would be great and useful to others if you could let us know how you do get on and if everything arrives here intact.

Cal x

Hopefully you will be fine, the only item i have ever personally known be confiscated was a wheat pack from inside a heat up teddy bear, they still sent the deflated teddy bear through though,lol..

I had similar from New Zealand...a wheat pack inside a little woollen sheep. The deflated sheep arrived with a note from Quarantine advising that the wheat pack had been removed because it was a prohibited import.

Odd, because I've heard/read Aussies describing poms and 'Brit bongs' as whiners (which is true, if you're from the south of England). And something about how 26C is relatively cool/chilly and perfect for wearing a jacket outdoors. They were also complaining about how you don't get sent home til it hits 40C. Mindboggling.

Its an old fable that 'poms whinge' , lol, don't get me wrong some poms do but the Aussies can be experts at it too,,lol

Schools will send children home if the temp reaches 40 degrees although in almost 10 years here its never happened at the schools my kids attend. Mine have been sent home once due to floods though when they were bad a few years ago as there were concerns the school bus would not get through a local road that always floods so everyone was called to collect kids early.

Cal x

I'd have just said 'scarf' 'painting' 'biscuits' and 'sweets' and left it at that. That is the contents after all.

If it was treated wool you would hope it would be ok but as you then knitted it, wrote it was wool and wrote a note about it, you may have drawn far more attention to it than it needed. And there is no label from the wool pack you bought to back up your statement so who knows. Chances are it'll be fine but it may get taken out. You'll find out in a week or two :)

Ah, Queensland floods. I think my lucky recipient's house was flooded back in 2011. 40C threshold seems a little callous, but then I imagine the infrastructure and buildings are designed to deal with it. In any case, I will indeed update here and let everyone how it goes. I think I'm worrying needlessly (touch wood, taunting the universe).

It said to be detailed, so I was just following instructions :frown:. And I figured being earnest in my declaration would demonstrate I have nothing to hide. Maybe a bit dangerous and flippant of me, but I assumed wool bought for crafts/knitting had been proplerly treated. We'll see! Thanks again for your input, everyone!

Several years ago I had a parcel returned to the PO that I used before it ever got through Customs. It was because there were contents in the parcel that I had not included on the description. I had to go to the PO, collect it, itemise the contents in a list I attached to the parcel and reposted it. No further charge, but such a lot of bother for a few items. They had obviously xrayed it and found undeclared items. When I spoke to Customs about it, they advised we should include everything on the declaration and they will decide whether it goes forward or not. Now I send less and less.

Before it got through customs to be exported, I'm assuming? I've tracked it and it's supposedly left the UK. I did phone up before and was told if there was an issue, I'd be contacted. So I guess UK customs were okay with it. Will phone up to double-check anyway. Whether or not it gets through or is taken aside seems a bit 'hit-or-miss'/luck of the gambler.

Before it got through customs to be exported, I'm assuming? I've tracked it and it's supposedly left the UK. I did phone up before and was told if there was an issue, I'd be contacted. So I guess UK customs were okay with it. Will phone up to double-check anyway. Whether or not it gets through or is taken aside seems a bit 'hit-or-miss'/luck of the gambler.

Yes if it's held up, it will be at the AU end. I don't think the Royal Mail are too fussed about what leaves the UK...

Archived