Not sure where to start or what to do ?

celticfae

My hubby is a British Passport holder and we have been married for 5 years here in Oz. We are looking at moving back to Scotland around November next year 2017, need to sort out what sort of visa we need to get for my 17 yr old son at that stage and myself.

1.How does it work with NHS for my son and I do we need to have private insurance ? What are the processes we need to start investigating... do we apply for nhs number before or after we get there I did read that there is IHS ? NHS ? Rather confused. I understand no disability pension over there which will be hard as I have a genetic condition Ehlers danlos syndrome and need help but if I can with medical expenses that is what I need ie medicines I regularly take. So besides that I guess I just dont know where to start

2. what visa is needed I have read on spousal visas but they seem to indicate due to get married not existing marriage ... costs and time frames dont want to leave it too late if its going to take 6 months or so to process etc.

3. Álso have a pet to ship over a cat and possibly half a container to go by slow ship to Scotland and dont know where to start on that too.. can i pack essentials into plastic storage tubs.

4. If i have read correct he would need employment letter guaranteeing 18,500 + 4,000 for child = 22,500 per annum

5. I have a bank account with funds in it. My hubby still has accounts running too. Do we need to have a certain amount in savings in UK ?

6. Is there anything else that I have missed on my list to start to look into ??

7. Also lastly is it recommended to use agent for this or is it easy to do yourself ?

Any and all advice is needed and appreciated.

Kind regards

Allymd01

Guest The Pom Queen

Hi @allymd01 welcome to the forum. There are a number of members who have gone through this so hopefully they will be along soon to help

Hi and welcome

I am sure one of our other members will pop along soon to help with things though I can help with point 3.

Shipping an animal to the UK is best to use and agent as although technicaly you can do it yourself, most airlines wont let you. We used Dogtainers for our cat and I would give them a call to see if they do cats as well.

For shipping items, it depends on how much you have. We didn't ship any large furniture, so used a small Move Cube. But the larger Move Cubes would also accommodate some furniture.

Have a look at your own ancestry first - do you have a UK born parent (that would be best as it also helps your son) in which case you could go for an Ancestry visa. You would also be covered if you had a UK born grandparent but I'm not sure what your son would need to do in that case - he's getting to that age where he might be considered an independent adult so you might need to look into his paternal ancestry as well. Failing that we are still in the EU so any European ancestry which might get you an EU passport?

Other than that then the spouse visa will be the way to go. It does have some pitfalls though - the family will be barred from a range of benefits which the UK citizen might otherwise be expected to be entitled to because there is a "no government funds to benefit the spouse " clause.

Have a look at your own ancestry first - do you have a UK born parent (that would be best as it also helps your son) in which case you could go for an Ancestry visa. You would also be covered if you had a UK born grandparent but I'm not sure what your son would need to do in that case - he's getting to that age where he might be considered an independent adult so you might need to look into his paternal ancestry as well. Failing that we are still in the EU so any European ancestry which might get you an EU passport?

Other than that then the spouse visa will be the way to go. It does have some pitfalls though - the family will be barred from a range of benefits which the UK citizen might otherwise be expected to be entitled to because there is a "no government funds to benefit the spouse " clause.

So no European ancestry either. Will have a good look at the spouse visa and try and get some info from there. Thanks for the tips :)

To your questions, same numbering.

1. Don't worry about NHS for now. It is there fore all residents, so once you get that sorted it will follow. Private health insurance is not compulsory in the UK.

2. There are definitely visas for people that are already married, you must have been reading about the fiancé visa.

3. Contact pet shippers about the cat and international removalists about your container. We used Jetpets for the cats, although I didn't really like them but others have had better experiences than I did. Removalists include Allid Pickford, Grace, John Mason, Anglo Pacific, loads more to choose from. If you want to put your stuff in plastic boxed that is yur prerogative, they will pack everything into cardboard boxes, including the plastic boxes you have already packed up.

4. Yes proof of income or savings is required for the visa.

Thanks Bungo I was all i could find was the bits on fiance visas etc.. and I was but we have been married for 5 years heheh. I read somewhere that they required packing in plastic large containers... but if boxes ok that would be better will look into calling some tomorrow to sort out info n price approx too thanks for the list. We have proof of income and savings over there so thats a bonus all good on that front. You guys are all so helpful thank you again :)

We were looking at my 17 year old will be finished school and going before he turns 18 ... but my hubby said he has been advised by someone that its better if he is already 18 and can apply for working and travel visa on his own rather than come as my child... any advise on hearing that ??

Archived