Help needed on last remaining visa and IELTS

Baileygirl1

Looking for help and suggestions please.

My situation is my husband and I and 2 children are currently on a graduate visa. My husband completed 2 years study and we are now 12 months in to our 18 month graduate visa. We are 15 points short from the 60 points needed for a permanent visa. If my husband sits the IELTS and gets four 8's that will get us the 15 points or if he gets four 7's that will get us 10 points and we can get 5 points from a state sponsorship. I have heard that the IELTS test is hard and very hard to get 7's and 8's. Has anyone done the IELTS and is it really that hard?

Another option is this... I am the last remaining. My parents are here in Australia and both brothers. I am able to apply for the last remaining visa and my kids too but not hubby as he has family back in the UK.

The processing time for this visa is approx 5 yrs. What can we do?

We are desperate to stay. Any suggestions and advice greatly appreciated

Forget last remaining relative - it is a 50 year wait not 5.

Most people do ILETS for points. He will need to brush up for it and there are lots of good revision things on line and even books available.

Are you sure he can pass the skills assessment with his current experience?

I spoke to immigration a few days ago and they said they are currently processing last remaining visa's lodged in 2011?

Yes. They certainly process those visas within a few years but those that are successful then sit in a queue for 50 years waiting for one of the limited spots to become available.

See here : https://www.border.gov.au/Trav/Brin/Fami/Capping-and-queuing/Other-family-visa-queue

"it is currently estimated that Remaining Relative and Aged Dependent Relative visa applications that were lodged in 2014 and meet the criteria to be queued are likely to take approximately 50​ years to be released for final processing.."

I spoke to immigration a few days ago and they said they are currently processing last remaining visa's lodged in 2011?

You are not eligible for a last remaining relative visa as your husband's family are considered your family for this purpose. So if he has family in UK, it excludes you and him. And yes it does have a 56 year processing queue as well.

If you are a literate, native speaker of English then IELTS should not present too much trouble at all.

Never ever take advice from immigration is the number 1 rule. I know it sounds odd, but they are just call centre staff with little or no training.

There are lots of threads on how to pass ILETS and many people will be able to help. As I mentioned though, are you sure he has enough experience to pass the skills assessment? That is usually the issue with people who study in Australia. The grad visa allows less time to work than most skills assessments require for in experience

Looking for help and suggestions please.

My situation is my husband and I and 2 children are currently on a graduate visa. My husband completed 2 years study and we are now 12 months in to our 18 month graduate visa. We are 15 points short from the 60 points needed for a permanent visa. If my husband sits the IELTS and gets four 8's that will get us the 15 points or if he gets four 7's that will get us 10 points and we can get 5 points from a state sponsorship. I have heard that the IELTS test is hard and very hard to get 7's and 8's. Has anyone done the IELTS and is it really that hard?

Another option is this... I am the last remaining. My parents are here in Australia and both brothers. I am able to apply for the last remaining visa and my kids too but not hubby as he has family back in the UK.

The processing time for this visa is approx 5 yrs. What can we do?

We are desperate to stay. Any suggestions and advice greatly appreciated

Hi Candi Bailey, I had to sit the IELTS test twice to get the required 8s for the points I needed. The first sitting was the academic test where I scored 7s, I needed this for skills assessment. Second time round I used Barrons IELTS revision books and sat the general test, I got the 8s ........ So it can be done with lots of revision and the general test is easier. Don't assume that you'll get it easily if your native English speaking. Good luck x

Hi Candi Bailey, I had to sit the IELTS test twice to get the required 8s for the points I needed. The first sitting was the academic test where I scored 7s, I needed this for skills assessment. Second time round I used Barrons IELTS revision books and sat the general test, I got the 8s ........ So it can be done with lots of revision and the general test is easier. Don't assume that you'll get it easily if your native English speaking. Good luck x

Where did you find the Barrons books? Great help, thank you