Relocating to Australia for work

Shaneyboy72

Hi there.

We are interested in relocating to Oz for work. Im not migrating. We just want to try it for a year or so to see how we like it and maybe then look into a more permanent move.

How/Where would we start looking into this and how long does it take ?

Hi there.

We are interested in relocating to Oz for work. Im not migrating. We just want to try it for a year or so to see how we like it and maybe then look into a more permanent move.

How/Where would we start looking into this and how long does it take ?

Are you the right age for a working holiday visa? That is 18-30? If so you could arrange that visa within a few hours.

If not then you would need to be in an occupation on the skills list and would need to find a job with an employer willing to sponsor you. This can be very hard to achieve, probably not realistic for most people but would depend upon your occupation and how hard it is to find people of that occupation. Once you have identified a willing sponsor, the process would take a few weeks to a few months. However finding the job would be the hard part and no way of saying how long that would take.

Im a 43 year old Gas Mains/Service layer. I also operate my own machines like 360 excavator and 10 ton dumper. I run my own jobs from excavating to pipe laying, testing and commissioning to backfilling and reinstating the roads. I have heard that there are a lot of gas replacement work in southern Australia and would love to bring my family and give it a try. Its starting to look like this may be a bit of an issue.

Im a 43 year old Gas Mains/Service layer. I also operate my own machines like 360 excavator and 10 ton dumper. I run my own jobs from excavating to pipe laying, testing and commissioning to backfilling and reinstating the roads. I have heard that there are a lot of gas replacement work in southern Australia and would love to bring my family and give it a try. Its starting to look like this may be a bit of an issue.

There really is no try before you buy visa other than finding employer sponsorship. If you believe there is lots of work about then might as well try applying for jobs.

A word of caution though, after the age of 45 it is nigh on impossible to get a permanent visa independently. So if the employer is not willing or able to sponsor for a permanent visa you may have no choice but to leave even if you want to stay. I would be inclined to try to weigh this up now, skip the try out year and go straight for a permanent visa if you qualify now.

So if I go straight for a permanent visa, how long does this take and how much does it all cost ?

I believe I can get a job. A sponsor might be a bit harder. I have family in Adelaide. Can they help ?

The visa cost is per person, so as I don't know how big your family is I could not say how much it would be. But at a guess something between $5-10k unless you are a very large family! I also do not know what occupation you would apply under and thus don't know what your skills assessment would be, some cost a few hundred dollars and others a few thousand.

I am afraid I also cannot guess how long your process would take because the skills assessment process varies, some take a couple of weeks whilst others take many months. But I will take a rough punt at 6-12 months from beginning to end of whole process.

Try to get your visa without family sponsorship. If the visa is family sponsored it takes longer and is a poorer quality visa. Only involve family in if you cannot get enough points and have no other choice.

Well I have a family of 3. 2 adults and a 10 year old step daughter. I am a fully skilled Gas mains/service engineer.

I do believe I am on the skills register but I think they name it differently over there.

Maybe if I can sort the job first, then maybe look into visas and sponsorships.

Its not going to be as straight forward as you're thinking... you can't sort any job without a visa, no one will touch you. At best you go for something like a 457 sponsorship, in which case that visa goes hand in hand with a firm job offer from am employer who qualifies and meets criteria to sponsor someone.

Well I have a family of 3. 2 adults and a 10 year old step daughter. I am a fully skilled Gas mains/service engineer.

I do believe I am on the skills register but I think they name it differently over there.

Maybe if I can sort the job first, then maybe look into visas and sponsorships.

You will also need the permission of the Father of the 10 year old.

If going for a PR visa then yes you get the visa first. The only visa you can get otherwise is an employer sponsored one - and like I say, that comes with a firm job offer because the company have to put in their side of the visa application (and meet eligibility criteria as a sponsor), and you then put in your part - a 2 sided process.

It totally is, immigration is often far more difficult then many people realise until they start looking into it properly. There are a good number of hoops to jump through for most people, the cost has also increased more and more in recent years, it really does need to be something you have researched very well. There are a good number of people that for a number of reasons just won't be able to do it however much they would like to. But the effort it takes to make it happen is why others are saying going through the process for just a year isn't really worth it - it might take you longer to actually get the visa then it would to be here! And the cost is significant - both application process and relocation.

I was hoping to get something like a work visa so we could see how we got on. I don't want to apply for full immigration and then have my step daughter want to come home because she's not happy. I just wanted a way of seeing how it went before putting all our eggs in the one basket.

Does that make sense ?

So going my the online calculator for a skilled visa, 189, it would be about 4000 GBP. The on top of that you're looking at medicals for all of you, IELTS (most people need this to make up points), police checks, plane tickets, relocation costs (accommodation when you arrive, deposit for rental, etc etc...), car (can be easily a few thousand for even a high mileage run around)... I haven't even begun to outline all of it really. But you are looking at maybe 10,000 GBP ish - probably a conservative estimate.

You'll also need to factor in doing the courses you'll need to convert your work qualifications once you arrive.

I was hoping to get something like a work visa so we could see how we got on. I don't want to apply for full immigration and then have my step daughter want to come home because she's not happy. I just wanted a way of seeing how it went before putting all our eggs in the one basket.

Does that make sense ?

Its not really how it works - the 457 is the only one that would possibly do that... but its still not an easy to make happen option. As I've already said, you'd need a firm job offer from an eligible employer, who would be prepared to do the visa application.

First you should be sure you qualify for a visa. Is your occupation on the skills needed list? Will you have enough points for the visa? Costs will be significant just for the visa's if you qualify. Plus the costs for al the other things required before you even get started on the relocation costs.

To be honest, I'll have a few GBP in the bank when I leave so I was banking on spending about £15k - £20k to get in and get settled. I would pay a years rental up front on a house too. That would give us some time to settle in and get used to the new way of life. Im more concerned with the time scale.

Does that make sense ?

In this case please refer to post #5.

You would need to get an employer willing to sponsor you for a temporary visa in this case. It would avoid the larger outlay of a permanent visa and you might even get some help with relocation costs.

But once you are 45 you probably will be unable to get a permanent visa under your own steam, so if the employer is not willing to sponsor for a permanent visa you would need to leave Australia, no matter how happy and settled you are.

Finding an employer sponsor is not impossible, but it is not common either and most people do need to jump in with both feet and get the permanent visa first. You are not of course forced to stay if you do not want to, but it can be an expensive exercise and you just have to decide whether you are prepared to take the chance.

Archived